First AR15 purchase!

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Martini

First AR15 purchase!

Post by Martini »

Hi everyone!

I want to purchase my first AR15, I like the Sig Sauer mcx virtus patrol or the Daniel Defense DDM4V11Pro. Are there any restrictions in the state of Florida in terms of barrel's length or magazine capacity that I should be aware of. I already have three handguns and I am a valid CCW Permit holder, I want to go hunting for either turkey or I think boar or any small game in South Florida. I am basically new to the AR, however when I was in the military I trained with the M16.
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Min. Barrel length for rifles = 16"
Min. Barrel length for pistols = 0" and up
Magazine restrictions = None
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Shadowbob

Post by Shadowbob »

Turkey hunting with an AR? I mean it can be done just not as fun as calling them in within shotgun and bow range.
Good luck finding somewhere to hunt if you don’t already have a place.
gforester

Post by gforester »

There is a magazine restriction for hunting. You have a capacity limit of 5 rounds for hunting purposes.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

gforester wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 am There is a magazine restriction for hunting. You have a capacity limit of 5 rounds for hunting purposes.
Not for boar.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm
gforester wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 am There is a magazine restriction for hunting. You have a capacity limit of 5 rounds for hunting purposes.
Not for boar.
Depends if one is speaking about private land or public land hunting, the latter is 5 rd only. Seen two many fwc that would just love to stir up shit even on private land, reminds me of that juice & squeeze thing..
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Lastrites wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:30 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 pm
Not for boar.
Depends if one is speaking about private land or public land hunting, the latter is 5 rd only. Seen two many fwc that would just love to stir up shit even on private land, reminds me of that juice & squeeze thing..
FWC restrictions indicate the limit when taking "resident game birds and game animals". Boar is listed as a "nuisance animal" or non-native. So...they need to make it clear on their site if that is the case.
Martini

Post by Martini »

So finally I pulled the trigger and purchased the Daniel Defense DDM4v7 Pro, it was shipped to the FFL in Margate, Florida and arrived yesterday June 17th. How long does the FFL take to get the rifle ready for pick up? I can't wait to take it home, and go to the range and have fun. I am a little nervous since this is my first purchase online so I don't know exactly what is suppose to happen. What happens after the FFL receives the rifle? Do I contact them or they contact me? How long do I have to wait before I call them to see when can I take the rifle home?
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Martini wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 pm So finally I pulled the trigger and purchased the Daniel Defense DDM4v7 Pro, it was shipped to the FFL in Margate, Florida and arrived yesterday June 17th. How long does the FFL take to get the rifle ready for pick up? I can't wait to take it home, and go to the range and have fun. I am a little nervous since this is my first purchase online so I don't know exactly what is suppose to happen. What happens after the FFL receives the rifle? Do I contact them or they contact me? How long do I have to wait before I call them to see when can I take the rifle home?
I show up at the FFL the moment UPS tells me something was delivered. On occasion, the FFL doesn't even realize the package has arrived. ;)

You have to go to the FFL and fill out a Form 4473 (background check). Depending on your status (CCW or hunting license holder) and the availability of the background check results, you can walk out then & there with your rifle.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Your package arrives with 20 other packages. They will eventually get to it that same day. The serial #’s then need to get into the FFL’s books. All firearms boxes need to be opened to verify the serial #’s are correct. The fact that the box shows ser # ABC123 is the firearm that’s in the box, means jack. We gotta look, & verify. Then of course, there’s the payback. Since you didn’t buy the gun from the FFL, but did allow him to make the whopping transfer fee, your transfer is the last thing he is thinking about. Guns he has ordered for customers, & he is actually selling are probably at the top of his list. It’s nothing personal, it’s just the way things work. I’d call him the day after the item arrives if you haven’t heard from him yet. GARY.