First AR15 purchase!

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

N4KVE wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:56 am Then of course, there’s the payback. Since you didn’t buy the gun from the FFL, but did allow him to make the whopping transfer fee, your transfer is the last thing he is thinking about.
Then don't do transfers...tough sheet.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

N4KVE wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:56 am Your package arrives with 20 other packages. They will eventually get to it that same day. The serial #’s then need to get into the FFL’s books. All firearms boxes need to be opened to verify the serial #’s are correct. The fact that the box shows ser # ABC123 is the firearm that’s in the box, means jack. We gotta look, & verify. Then of course, there’s the payback. Since you didn’t buy the gun from the FFL, but did allow him to make the whopping transfer fee, your transfer is the last thing he is thinking about. Guns he has ordered for customers, & he is actually selling are probably at the top of his list. It’s nothing personal, it’s just the way things work. I’d call him the day after the item arrives if you haven’t heard from him yet. GARY.

Spoken like a true one and done gun store. Screw them and forget them types. Every dealer I deal with understands that at times they can not complete with the big boy sales. As I purchase a bunch of firearms from them at good deals locally in the shop they treat me well. I buy a lot of other things from them. So they do make decent money from me. I have even been known to help with their systems once in a while.

Comes down to that wonderful old rule. Treat others how you want to be treated. That has worked for me for years. I have seen a lot of dealers come and go. Pretty soon you run out of folks to treat badly. Of course there are a lot of sheep waiting to be fleeced. I am old school, test then right and earn a long time customer. Treat them bad and get s one time sale.

Both of those are valid business models in use but only one will survive over the long run. Just ask Dick's, sports authority, or any of the others that have come and gone.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Those 2 companies chose to stop selling “assault weapons”. And doing transfers after doing sales isn’t treating customers badly. Dropped in on a small shop I had never seen before in Palm Beach. Walked in the door, & of course I know the owner from the shows. So I asked him about my post. Was I wrong, or too strong? He agreed with me 100%. When his transfers come in they get done last. Not the next week, but at the end of the day. And we both agreed that gun owners are their own worst enemies. 3 1/2 years of a pro 2A leader, & gun sales are slow. But now with all the riots, looting, & upcoming election, gun stores are busy as $hit, & mfr’s are raising prices. Why did people wait for this to happen? Where were they the last 42 months? GARY.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Opinions will differ. I went the route of not possible irritating my customers. Worked pretty well.

Transfers have always been a sore spot. Some think fifty bucks is outrageous so think it is just right. Kind of like the Glock or 1911 debate.

A lot of dealers kind of like the folks that transfer in a gun then spend another couple hundred on accessories. That is where most of their markup is anyways. Markup on new guns is not that much.

So why treat that customer differently. Now granted if it is between a good customer and someone I never see I will handle my good customer first. But either kind has the potential to be a good customer. You may never know by doing their transfer last because that is just the way it is.

But alas, that is why s lot of LGS never make it.

Like everything else your mileage may vary and there are always the outliers that will get treated differently just because they deserve it due to their attitude.