.50 beowulf vs. .458 socom

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Orlando Paulitician

.50 beowulf vs. .458 socom

Post by Orlando Paulitician »

Which has the largest amount of users/popularity, and is least likely to vanish from the market?

I want to get an AR15-based big bore, platform, and want to grab the one that will have the most future ammo availability.

Edit: ar15.com seems to point to .458...
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
https://www.cacteam.com/
Arkhangel5

Post by Arkhangel5 »

Out of the 2 of those I would say the .458 Socom would be around in the future.

But I am going to say the 450 Bushmaster will be around after both of those have gone bye bye.

I think the 450BM is just the better allround cartridge. Factory ammo is available for it and is relatively cheap, especially compared the .458 Socom, ~$25 vs $45+ per 20 round box, and is available at places like Bass Pro. Everything about the 458S is pricey.

The 450BM is really popular as a hunting rifle in states with straight wall cartridge requirements for hunting, is available as a factory bolt action rifle as well as AR type rifles.

I really researched the pros and cons between all of these cartridges, including the new 350 Legend and kept coming back to the 450BM. I own and load for one.

SY