Best AR for first time buyer!

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Martini

Best AR for first time buyer!

Post by Martini »

I am looking to purchase my first AR and want your feedback on it. what is the best AR that's reliable and fun to shoot? This will be my first AR when I was in the army I was used to the M16, I liked it but had its flaws. I shoot lefty so I remembered using a deflector of some sort because the hot cartridges will go on my face. I wonder if the AR is like that too.
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

Boy you are going to get a lot of response on that question. I would ask what you what are you planning to use this rifle for, target home protection or just because. I’m also a southpaw and haven’t had any brass problems on any of ar’s. You can spend any amount from $450 to $4000. Ruger has a great intro rifle for around $450. You get a great rifle and warranty or you can build your own at a savings your pick. Welcome to the club😉
deathpriest

Post by deathpriest »

I purchased a S&W M&P15 Sport a few years back for around $550 out the door. Hundreds of flawless rounds downrange. Does everything I need it to do and has an outstanding company and warranty behind it.

I also have others, some I assembled, a colt, a ruger takedown, ... for my intended purposes, all serve me alike.
μολὼν λαβέ
**Infidel**
Martini

Post by Martini »

Clyde621 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:53 pm Boy you are going to get a lot of response on that question. I would ask what you what are you planning to use this rifle for, target home protection or just because. I’m also a southpaw and haven’t had any brass problems on any of ar’s. You can spend any amount from $450 to $4000. Ruger has a great intro rifle for around $450. You get a great rifle and warranty or you can build your own at a savings your pick. Welcome to the club😉
The main purpose of the AR will be home defense, but I would like to use it for target practice too. I think a shotgun will be my next choice of weapon after my handgun and the AR, however, it will leave a big mess in the house if you know what I mean.
NRA Member 2020
Beretta Aficionado
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

https://www.gunmann.com/left-handed-ar-15-uppers/

Build your own? A left hand upper is a thing.
Chris6424

Post by Chris6424 »

Lefty? Check out the offerings from Stag Arms
Shadowbob

Post by Shadowbob »

Like P5 said, build your own. Pretty easy and cheaper. For an inexpensive build I always go Palmetto State Armory and after thousands and thousands of rounds through 12 of them, I've not had one issue. Don't know if they make a lefty upper though.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Can’t go wrong with a S&W M&P Sport 2. GARY.
OKIE

Post by OKIE »

Don't forget Core15, made in Ocala.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Shadowbob wrote:Like P5 said, build your own. Pretty easy and cheaper. For an inexpensive build I always go Palmetto State Armory and after thousands and thousands of rounds through 12 of them, I've not had one issue. Don't know if they make a lefty upper though.
Easy, yes. Cheaper, no. Hard to get under $500 with parts, let alone the $400 that ARs have been selling at for a while.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk