Polymer AR Lowers

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
GlockNRoll

Polymer AR Lowers

Post by GlockNRoll »

Hello

New Member here, and was looking for some input on the Omega3 (or any other manufacturers) Arms Poly lowers for the AR platform.

I have heard a lot of negative comments about these, but so far, I have built three AR's from them, and they have worked flawlessly for me. Any thoughts from other members on these ? I have really put them to the test, emptying several mags consecutively, to really "heat things up," and not a jam / ftf / fte or any other failure whatsoever. They have performed flawlessly. Am really Interested to know what some AR guys have to say (preferably from personal experience) . My only issue is that the price has dropped considerably from the $130 (for complete lowers) that I paid for them several years ago, to like $90 now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Best,

Ben
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

There's a ton of plastic items these days that are just as good as their metal counterparts. None of us think that a plastic AR feels quite right, but they're not under a helluva lot of stress. When the plastic frame handguns came out in the '70s and then the Glock popularized them in the
80s, tons of folks discounted them. While I have no direct experience with your brand of lower, you've already put it through it's paces and so far so good. Might not be my first choice in a big igloo, but I wouldn't have any facts to back it up either way.
Vynntage

Post by Vynntage »

I wouldn't worry about using a polymer AR lower unless I was building something different like a 9mm (or other pistol caliber blowback) or a caliber/cartridge that produces more stress at the extension tower. That said there are some Polymer lowers that I wouldn't worry about that issue like Tnarmsco or GWACS lower, the former has brass inserts for the threaded portions while the later has the stock and extension as part of the lower and both have been beefed up in critical locations.
GlockNRoll

Post by GlockNRoll »

Thanks, guys, appreciate the input !

Ben
"I love my Country, and consider it a privilege to be an American. I will at all times uphold the United States Constitution. I will support and defend the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic.
ABOC

Post by ABOC »

A lot of polymer lowers are junk due to the fact that they try to replicate the exact shape of standard aluminum lowers. Since it takes a lot more polymer than aluminum to get the same strength, the results are not very good. Just google "broken polymer lower" and click on images to see what happens when these lowers are subjected to any serious stress.

GWACS solved that problem by making a lower that had an integral A1 style stock but I could not get my hands on one when I tried to buy it a year or two ago. It seems they are either no longer in business or no longer offering that lower. I have read somewhere that Brownells is bringing a similar design to the market in 2020. They've been on a roll with their various AR lines lately so I would wait to see what their offering looks like. Having a polymer lower backed by a company the size of Brownells would also be a big plus in my book.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209
GlockNRoll

Post by GlockNRoll »

I have two of the Omega Arms units. They have been flawless, have even under torture testing, doing multiple rapid fire mag dumps (with an old crap barrel attached), and after either 90 or 120 rds (don't remember if it was 3 mags or 4) shooting as fast as I could, the barrel was so effing hot I could feel the heat on my face, but absolutely no issue at all with the lowers. Just curious, as I have heard people say they love em, or hate em, doesn't seem to be any grey areas, but personally speaking, I can't find a problem with em !

Be well all,

Ben
"I love my Country, and consider it a privilege to be an American. I will at all times uphold the United States Constitution. I will support and defend the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Hope they work for you, but I recall these being the Plum Crazy lowers that were breaking (maybe gen 1) but it seems (rumor has it) the company changed names to avoid warranty claims? The juice isn't worth the squeeze at the moment when you can build the same for about the same cost in aluminum.
neverenoughguns

Post by neverenoughguns »

Interesting video about plastic lowers. Goes into what was originally done wrong and how they were improved. Ian from Forgotten Weapons is involved w the project and it seems to have promise.

ABOC

Post by ABOC »

neverenoughguns wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 pm Interesting video about plastic lowers. Goes into what was originally done wrong and how they were improved. Ian from Forgotten Weapons is involved w the project and it seems to have promise.
That's the one I heard is going to get launched.
To me the fact that Brownells is involved is a good sign.

If AR polymer lowers are going to become reliable, my money is on this one being the first of the bunch.
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens" - Arnaud Amaury 1209