Anybody ever have their AR optic go down while in use?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I used to mount a BUIS on all my AR's with optics just in case the optic sight went down. Now 20+ years later I have yet to have one go down while in use. I've dropped and banged up plenty of my ARs including one I dropped from a tree stand but I never had one go down. Even the one I dropped from the tree stand was working and the optic was still perfectly zeroed despite the ugly scratch on the bell. On the last couple AR's I put together for hunting purpose I didn't put any BUIS on them. My "truck" gun is an AR with 2-7 power scope and it's constantly getting banged up in my truck on weekends but almost 2 years later the scope has never given me any trouble and always kept it's zero.
Now I wonder if the BUIS is even necessary.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
SilentRecon

Post by SilentRecon »

BUIS are simply contingency IF your primary optic ever failed and nothing more. If your optic isn't on a QD mount, they are worthless unless it's a red dot and you are able to cowitness through it. You can use canted BUIS if that's a concern. Most people put them on to complete the look but in reality would never use them. I've seen optics fail during training exercises mainly due to the battery failing. Make sure you run a QD mount if you plan on running BUIS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Yes. When I had a Vortex optic a few years ago, 7.62 recoil completely wrecked it and gave it a wandering zero. Thankfully 90 percent of optics on AKs are QD.

EDIT: I just realized this was AR specific. My bad, I was phone posting and didn't see that.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

yeah my Aimpoint Micro T1 died in the middle of a match....battery related , I watched the dot get dimmer, and dimmer, tried to keep shooting but was all over the place

I yelled 50,000 hours my ass, and tossed the rifle on the table ..... they threatened to DQ me :roll:
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Had that happen on my rifle mounted Aimpoint and on my pistol mounted Romeo.
Shadowbob

Post by Shadowbob »

On the play toys I don’t have them. On the tools in the truck I do. I’ve never had a scope or red dot fail me though
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Eotech died just as I was about to make the shot on a porkchop with no time to flip up the irons, took the shot and dropped it.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Lastrites wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:28 am Eotech died just as I was about to make the shot on a porkchop with no time to flip up the irons, took the shot and dropped it.
Yea, they're not known for their battery life. I love my 552 but I don't keep it on constantly.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

I had an eotech 512 die while shooting. It would flicker under recoil, then stopped flickering and wouldn't power back up.

I've had multiple RMRs flicker/fail due to battery contact issues. (Pistols, rifles & shotgun)

I had a cheap 3x9 scope break on an AR. One of the lenses internally came loose and it became a kaleidoscope.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

FLshooter

Post by FLshooter »

I had an older Eotech 512 A65 on my AR15.Batteries were taken out when stored for longer periods of time.Worked well for several years.One day,I took it out to the range.It was dead.
Sent it to Eotech.They promptly fixed it for free and sent it back.All it cost was $10.60 to get it there.I sold it and got a good price on eBay after it got back.Decided to go with a 1-4x24 scope.
My thoughts are that electronics eventually fail.And in the most inopportune times.If you are using a red dot for play,that’s one thing,But,I would not trust my life on a red dot scope.