Should I Red Locktite my buffer tube???

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
rug357

Should I Red Locktite my buffer tube???

Post by rug357 »

I have a AR pistol with AB Tactical SOB brace on it. I've only had it for about 2 years but the buffer tube has gotten loose from use twice now. It's a pain in the a$$ as I have to remove and reinstall the brace each time so it lines up correctly with the lower. Last night I noticed the brace is slightly off the center line which means the buffer tube is coming loose again. This time I think I'm going to clean off the thread with acetone and apply some red Locktite on it so it doesn't move again. Anybody have a better idea on how to stop this buffer from getting loose again?
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Not sure if its helpful but I had a wiggly tube on one AR15 years back, and what I did was kinda peen over the little tab that runs down the tube "channel" (for lack of better term) on the sling plate to make it a little fatter, it helped a bit. Between that and a proper staking of the castle nut, it never wiggled again.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

SB Tactical buffer tube doesn't have a castle nut. The tube is thicker than standard tube and has a "step" at the end of the thread which butts up against the lower receiver.

ss1

Post by ss1 »

I’d use blue loctite even though you may never need to remove the tube, I’ve have to remove them after kabooms were brought into the shop just to get them to open up.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

I wouldn't. Try the blue first. Red would likely be overkill.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Red is overkill on the tube due to all the surface area, use one good droplet of blue as it will come off a lot easier with a little heat. Or install and stake it, staking is easy to muscle past if need be. It could be that the reciever ext. ring on the lower and your tube are on opposite ends of the spec further adding to your problem. Same to could said about the castle nut being out polar ends to the tube as well, try a new nut, add a drop or two of blue.

Rug, you do have a good way to clamp the lower in a vise, yes?
Last edited by Lastrites on Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Lastrites wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:06 pm Red is overkill on the tube due to all the surface area, use one good droplet of blue as it will come off a lot easier with a little heat. Or install and stake it, staking is easy to muscle past if need be. It could be that the reciever ext. ring on the lower and your tube are on opposite ends of the spec further adding to your problem.

Rug, you do have a good way to clamp the lower in a vise, yes?
Yes, I have receiver block, table vice, strap wrench, small hammer, medium hammer, big ass hammer and 34" wood baseball bat :D

SilentRecon

Post by SilentRecon »

I would recommend NOT using loctite on your buffer tube and dont know of any reputable gun smith recommending to loctite your buffer tube. I would be highly weary if they do. You should stake your castle nut or another option is a PWS enhanced buffer tube which utilizes a ratcheting system. I just got one and its excellent.

ss1

Post by ss1 »

SilentRecon wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:41 pm I would recommend NOT using loctite on your buffer tube and dont know of any reputable gun smith recommending to loctite your buffer tube. I would be highly weary if they do. You should stake your castle nut or another option is a PWS enhanced buffer tube which utilizes a ratcheting system. I just got one and its excellent.
Lol before you get all worked up over unqualified smiths out there, if you read the op, it is a pistol build. Most pistol tubes aren’t indexed and don’t have a shoulder tall enough to stake to the end plate, so you have to torque it down if it doesn’t have flats at the end with a strap wrench or leather and a wrench or many use a little loctite.
SilentRecon

Post by SilentRecon »

ss1 wrote:
SilentRecon wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:41 pm I would recommend NOT using loctite on your buffer tube and dont know of any reputable gun smith recommending to loctite your buffer tube. I would be highly weary if they do. You should stake your castle nut or another option is a PWS enhanced buffer tube which utilizes a ratcheting system. I just got one and its excellent.
Lol before you get all worked up over unqualified smiths out there, if you read the op, it is a pistol build. Most pistol tubes aren’t indexed and don’t have a shoulder tall enough to stake to the end plate, so you have to torque it down if it doesn’t have flats at the end with a strap wrench or leather and a wrench or many use a little loctite.
I've staked multiple pistol buffer tubes, what kind of pistol buffer tube does not allow staking? Some people have used a very small amount of blue loctite on the castle nut properly torqued but never the threads into the reciever. Maybe im hearing your wrong.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk