Kydex, leather or other?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.

Kydex, leather or other for your holster material?

Kydex
42%
Leather
36%
Other (please explain)
21%

Total votes: 33

Deputydave

Kydex, leather or other?

Post by Deputydave »

What kind of material do you prefer for your holsters?
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Both have their place in my cupboard, leather aiwb has been noticeably more comfortable for me but it has much to do with the design of the holster itself.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

I voted "other" only because there was no choice of "depends."

For autos, I prefer kydex, because I carry autos IWB exclusively, and Kydex gives me the most comfort, best retenion and ease of draw with a slab sided gun. Same philosophy for spare mags. I'm not dedicated to one maker - I've got a variety of Kydex, from high end to no name. I just try them until I find one that works for me for a particular gun.

When I carry a revolver (about half the time) I prefer leather, whether IWB or OWB. I do have a couple of Kydex for J Frame size guns, and one for an L frame, but for me, Kdex seems a little too "grippy" with a revolver for a consistent draw from concealment. Maybe the extra girth of the cylinder - more surface area equals more drag - I don't know. It seems Kydex is less forgiving with a revolver than an auto if you don't have a perfect draw angle, which isn't always possible. Plus, maybe it's the nostalgia, but it seems revolvers just need to be cased in leather.
Nowhere Mon

Post by Nowhere Mon »

I'm a big fan of the Sticky Holsters. They stay put and allow easy adjustment when sitting down.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Im biased for sure but I go to kydex 99% of the time. I do have a leather pocket holster for my j frame I occasionally use but that is it.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I did the same as Odessaman "other" ,it just depends on the type of finish on pistol.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Nowhere Mon wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 am I'm a big fan of the Sticky Holsters. They stay put and allow easy adjustment when sitting down.
I have to admit when I first saw one I was like 'nah'. But then I really started to look at it and tried it out firsthand. Now I have a couple of them. :D
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

A hybrid combination of both, a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Mostly in a Safepacker holster. Cordura nylon and thick closed-cell neoprene padding. Have two sizes and both very comfortable to wear like a satchel.
https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacke ... t-holster/

If not, then I choose a pistol that fits in a soft, velour-like, cheapo pocket holster.
Let's Go Brandon
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Kydex for me.