Simple carry gun for the elderly?

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:02 pm Here's a wacky idea!

Have her handle as many handguns as she can during these troubled times and find the one that fits her hand like she just squeezed a handful of mud and feels like she's pointing her finger.

If that turns out to be a Desert Eagle, well get her a bigger purse!

The idea that a woman has to be limited to an anemic little popgun just because she's a woman is absurd.

proper training will teach her how to handle the "bite"

proper training will have her clearing malfunctions without even thinking about it.
Nobody said that women are limited to anemic little pop guns, and all the training in the world cannot overcome physical limitations. Nobody is planning on purchasing a firearm and saying "Here, this is best for you, carry it", however, having suggestions on where to start based on the experience of others is productive. In this case, Mama Wakko lives out of state, so I cannot be there to properly spend the time with her processing as many handguns as necessary, and I sure as hell don't trust the average gun store counter person to do the job for me. Are there great salespersons that would take the time to do the job right? Sure there are, but I know the difference...she doesn't.

Miami and Palm Beach both have gun shows this weekend, I may head to Miami on Saturday and see what there is to see.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

redeagle wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:05 pm Facing a gun that is going "bang" a lot of hoodlums wont stop to check what caliber you are shooting at them. If you are concerned about her stopping the 280lb, PCP-engraged psycho, then Ms. Wakko is hanging with the wrong crowd. :D
I keep telling her to give up her job as bouncer at Billy Rae's Auto Parts and Exotic Dancing, but she has to satisfy her bloodlust somewhere.
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

At one time wad cutters were indeed the preferred round for close self defense. BUT, the real old school crew opted for inverted wad cutters. There was no over penetration problem and maximum effect.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Hi folks, elderly here. Yes, size is one of my ongoing decisions. With my usual uniform of a Columbia shirt, hanging outside as is obligatory, with jeans or shorts, I try to strike a balance between discretion and need. Right now, as in this minute, I have my little Seecamp 380 in my pocket. Pocket seems the most discrete. Of course, I'm sitting on my back porch, watching the tide roll in and not really concerned with a lot of miscreants being about. Across the street, I have the most useful item in case of trouble, a police officer, and he's home. But, then there are times he's not, or I'm out and about in the "Blackhawk Down" environment of a Publix lot. There's where my dilemma comes in. Is the 380 enough oomph, or do I stick a Smith model 69 IWB?
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

REDinFL wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:48 pm There's where my dilemma comes in. Is the 380 enough oomph, or do I stick a Smith model 69 IWB?
No one, in the history of history while in the middle of an active gunfight has ever said,

"Damn! I wish I had a smaller, weaker gun with less ammo capacity!"
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Lastrites wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:24 pm Revolver in 9mm as it won't have quite the snap of a 38. Or maybe that S&W shield ez, supposed to be really easy to rack.
I purchased the 380EZ for my wife. She rented one at the range last year and loved it so I purchased one before all the panic set in for $350 new. That's her favorite pistol! And yes, very easy to rack the slide which was important as she has hand strength issues. Recoil is very tame and it's a soft shooter. She loves that it has two manual safeties as she isn't a gun person. And it works very well has a purse gun for her.

The magazines are easy to load as well and have the little assist tabs to help as well. 8+1 is decent capacity.

Overall it's a very good pistol.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
photohause

Post by photohause »

Rchrd.miranda wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:38 pm At one time wad cutters were indeed the preferred round for close self defense. BUT, the real old school crew opted for inverted wad cutters. There was no over penetration problem and maximum effect.
Years ago I knew many NYC Cops who carried these.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I know several people who jumped down that rabbit hole, and it never stops.

"This one is too heavy. I need something lighter."

"I cant rack the slide! I need something easier."

"This one kicks too much! I need a smaller caliber!"

"I have a light gun in a wimp caliber, but I cant hit anything with it!

I have a buddy right now who because he cant hold his SR-9 out in one hand and shoot it, wants something lighter.

The thought of training to shoot one handed and all the practice involved just doesn't compute with him.

The bad part is, this guy is one of the best guitar players in the world, and he knows he didn't get there without YEARS of practice and sacrifice, yet he expects to just buy a gun and immediately become a proficient gun fighter!

When he was learning guitar, he didn't go get a different guitar every time he had to learn a difficult chord, he trained his fingers and hand to do what he needed to do.

He cant seem to apply that to his pistol.
redeagle

Post by redeagle »

TC6969 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:04 pm I have a buddy right now who because he cant hold his SR-9 out in one hand and shoot it, wants something lighter.

The thought of training to shoot one handed and all the practice involved just doesn't compute with him.

The bad part is, this guy is one of the best guitar players in the world, and he knows he didn't get there without YEARS of practice and sacrifice, yet he expects to just buy a gun and immediately become a proficient gun fighter!
Maybe he just wants to be able to shoot without letting go of his guitar??
RAN

Post by RAN »

Tip up barrel of the tomcat does away with slide matters and more pop than the bobcat :D just a thought if the revolvers are bulky for her