Legal Question(s)

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.
Toofiq

Legal Question(s)

Post by Toofiq »

If stopped by a cop for a traffic offense, and asked about firearms can you legally lie?

If you elect to tell truth, (or volunteer) must you follow his orders to surrender the firearm if asked?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Yes, you can "lie", but it's better to remain silent. You cannot "legally" lie to an officer in the course of an investigation, however.

An officer can temporarily seize your weapon for their safety.

Side note: It's a lot more complicated than this, but I'm not an attorney, so...take my advice for what it's worth.

Good read: https://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
BIG JOE

Post by BIG JOE »

You can do whatever you want. The question you need answered is what happens to you when asked any question by a LEO. He gets to answer that question. Not an attorney here either. You get to to call this one.
BIG JOE
ss1

Post by ss1 »

Years back I had been pulled over for speeding and I did not offer that I was carrying. In conversation I asked the trooper if she knew a fellow trooper I was friends with at the the gun shop I helped out at. That was when she asked if I was carrying and I said yes. She asked that I produce it and I took my LCP out safely and asked if she wanted me to unload it and she said yes. She took the gun, ran the serial for 15 min and gave it back saying that the serial was the same as one reported stolen but it was a completely different manufacturer and model and apologized it took so long. In the end I got the ticket but my friend instructed me to go to court and stick with not guilty while the trooper had a case of amnesia regarding the ticket so I got off. As long as you are polite and cordial, odds are you’ll be treated the same back.
G32shooter

Post by G32shooter »

I have many personal expeirence stories but to save all that, the last few times I've been pulled over now that my gun is usually in my EDC bag I don't say anything unless my firearm is in the same area as my registration/insurance info is at. So they don't ask and I don't tell when dealing with Tampa police officers or HCSO deputy's
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

They dont ask, i dont tell.