Woods carry

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.

For Florida woods carry, what pistol do you prefer to carry?

.22lr
No votes
..38 Speical
6%
.357 magnum
34%
.44 magnum
15%
9mm
8%
40 S&W
6%
.357sig
No votes
10mm
18%
.45acp
10%
Other, please detail in a post
3%

Total votes: 62

Deputydave

Woods carry

Post by Deputydave »

If you carry in the woods, what revolver or pistol do you carry while out in the woods (hiking, camping, fishing, hunting)? Why did you choose that gun and caliber? What is your biggest concern for carrying in the Florida woods? What type of round do you carry?

I could only list 10 choices so if you have something not on the list please vote 'other' and list what you carry.

We have a group that goes camping multiple times a year around our area (called SEP gatherings). We all carry of course. Currently, my preferred caliber for woods carry is 40 S&W. Normally either a 180g flat point FMJ or 180g WWB JHP. My main concern while out in the wilds, other than 2-legged threats, would be a rabid animal. My county has been under rabies warnings a few times in recent years. We've had snakes in camp before but I'm not as concerned about them.

So I'd likely carry my Glock 22.4 or my HK P2000 in 40 S&W. It's likely to be capable of any threat in Florida.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Adding to my original thought, I may think about getting a Glock 21.4. That way I can load 45acp (and +P) as well as set it up for/convert to 45 Super, 40 Super or 10mm as the mood strikes.

This thread has discussion and videos on these calibers used in Alaska:

http://sepboard.us/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=376

45acp seems to be very popular in Alaska and my uncle used it while living up there. If 45acp is in widespread use there it would be more than sufficient for anything in Florida. So I I get a G21.4 it would likely replace my G22.4 for woods carry due to the options available.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

In FL about anything would suffice from 9mm and up as there is really only 3 things one would need it for which are 2 legs, panthers and black bear. It's really comes down to shot placement again with the proper ammo. But really a 40, 45 or a 10 would all be ideal. Oh a possible fourth, a pissed off hog can raise the hair on your back too if your caught by surprise.
Last edited by Lastrites on Mon May 25, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

A .357 magnum GP100, 4” barrel. Loaded with 180-grain XTP’s over 13 grains of AA9, it will leave a welt somethin’ awful on everything that walks, crawls or flies in Florida, except swamp apes.
From Chuck Hawks:
“The practical minimum barrel length for any .357 revolver is 4". A 4" magnum is compact and often chosen by uniformed police officers who must wear their gun and holster rig all day. Loaded with deep penetrating, heavy bullets it is handy to carry for protection in the field from potentially dangerous predators, such as cougar and black bear. (Works on dangerous two-legged predators, too!) I carry my 4" Python for that purpose when I am not carrying a centerfire rifle. A 4" barrel is also a good choice for a dedicated home defense revolver, as it points well and is harder for an opponent to grab than a longer barrel. The 4" barrel is easily carried in a service type belt holster and you should get something akin to the advertised muzzle velocity (MV), as factory ammunition is tested in a 4" vented barrel.”

https://www.chuckhawks.com/most_versatile_handgun.htm
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Lastrites wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm In FL about anything would suffice from 9mm and up as there is really only 3 things one would need it for which are 2 legs, panthers and black bear. It's really comes down to shot placement again with the proper ammo. But really a 40, 45 or a 10 would all be ideal. Oh a possible fourth, a pissed of hog can raise the hair on your back too if your caught by surprise.
Yes, a hog would definitely be a legitimate concern. Suckers can get huge, aggressive and bad tempered.
dammitgriff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:28 pm A .357 magnum GP100, 4” barrel. Loaded with 180-grain XTP’s over 13 grains of AA9, it will leave a welt somethin’ awful on everything that walks, crawls or flies in Florida, except swamp apes.
Had a GP100 and agree, it's a good, solid revolver for woods use. Don't forget to vote :)
Shadowbob

Post by Shadowbob »

44mag however I’m keen on getting the Glock 10mm, I think it’s the 40 model. I bow hunt a lot and while I’ve killed deer with a 357 the 44mag just has more oomph.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Sort of sweep past your rabid comment, if rabid animals is the main focal point then I would suggest something that you can accurately put lead on target quickly with just as quick follow-up. Which would lead me to 9's, 40's & 45's being in the range of the most effective fast shooting guns with capacity. So really one should pick the one they have the best rapid target acquisition with and they shoot fastest as this is when moments count.

If you've ever tried shooting a running coon, fox or coyote you know they aren't easy to connect with as they are small fast targets. This brings back fond memories of a hundred pound + hog that charged me one morning, didn't go as planned for him.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Glock 20SF is my woods gun. 15 rounds of 10mm should be enough for most anything out there!
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Flashooter22 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:52 am Glock 20SF is my woods gun. 15 rounds of 10mm should be enough for most anything out there!
This, I’ve used 40 on a few hogs and it just didn’t cut it. And if you go 45ACP for woods I’d go w the +P.
Even though the 40 is a smaller caliber I like the capacity, and foot pounds of energy is excellent. Mav.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Shadowbob wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:20 am 44mag however I’m keen on getting the Glock 10mm, I think it’s the 40 model.
mavrik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 am And if you go 45ACP for woods I’d go w the +P.
One of the reasons I've been toying with the idea of getting back into the 45acp in a Gen 4 Glock 21. In that link I posted above in the second post, the 45acp seems to be widely popular in Alaska, particularly in the +P loadings. Since Alaska has much bigger critters than Florida, it should be very sufficient for what we may have to content with here. And a G21 can be converted into a 10mm, 45 Super and 40 Super so there are lots of options with it.

@ Shadowbob, yes the G40 is the large 10mm. Something to consider would be the G41 which is 45acp and then getting a 10mm conversion barrel. Best of both worlds. This may be something I'd consider over the G21 and converting it over.

Lastrites wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:35 am Sort of sweep past your rabid comment, if rabid animals is the main focal point then I would suggest something that you can accurately put lead on target quickly with just as quick follow-up. Which would lead me to 9's, 40's & 45's being in the range of the most effective fast shooting guns with capacity.
Agreed. Either my G22.4 or HK P2000 in 40 S&W would check those boxes nicely. I'd have to get that G21 or G41 and then try it out with both 45acp and 10mm barrels to see how well and how accurately I can get off shots as compared to the G22.
mavrik wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 am This, I’ve used 40 on a few hogs and it just didn’t cut it
What was the pistol and what load where you using?