Woods carry

State and national practical & political discussions on legal open, concealed and vehicle carry.

For Florida woods carry, what pistol do you prefer to carry?

.22lr
No votes
..38 Speical
6%
.357 magnum
34%
.44 magnum
15%
9mm
8%
40 S&W
6%
.357sig
No votes
10mm
18%
.45acp
10%
Other, please detail in a post
3%

Total votes: 62

Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull w/custom chest rig...because overkill is still a kill. ;) Got it mainly for hiking in NM where we have mountain lions. Carry here when boar hunting.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I posted this before...
I spend a lot time in the woods hunting and working...I think 80+ days a year. When hunting in the woods I always carry a long gun and a handgun and when working in the woods I just carry a handgun. For past couple years the handgun I carry all the time is a lightweight 2" S&W J frame in 38 special (S&W model 37, 38 or 642) in a belt holster. More recently I started carrying a 2" Colt Agent revolver. I keep the first shot loaded with Speer shotshell and rest 4 or 5 rounds are my handload of 158gr SWC @ 850 fps. I've carried a lot of different handguns in past but settled on a lightweight J frame or the little lightweight Agent revolver as it serves my purpose and is small/light enough to be comfortable and out of the way. The shotshell is effective against venomous snakes out to 5 or 6 feet and my SWC rounds are capable of penetrating deep into the brain of large hogs or deer for coup-de-grace shots. A 38 Special is also sufficient on 2 legged varmints. I thought about carrying a 22lr pistol or revolver but most are larger and heavier than LW 38 revolvers and 22lr round may not always be effective for coup-de-grace shots on hogs.
While larger revolvers are more capable I find that large/heavy handguns will not always be carried as they are pain to carry around and often get in the way whereas I put my small revolver and knife on the belt in the morning and I forget it's there until I go to sleep. It's more likely I'll have a small revolver on my belt when I need it than I would with a large/heavy handgun which I may just leave in the truck after couple hours. I also don't see the need for the power of 357mag/10mm or more in 99.9% of cases. A stiff 38 Special round is sufficient for close in encounter with coyotes, dogs, bobcat, etc.

BTW I know of few other members here who frequently carries J frame 38 special out in the woods.
Something like this

You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

rug357 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 pm I posted this before...
I spend a lot time in the woods hunting and working...I think 80+ days a year. When hunting in the woods I always carry a long gun and a handgun and when working in the woods I just carry a handgun. For past couple years the handgun I carry all the time is a lightweight 2" S&W J frame in 38 special (S&W model 37, 38 or 642) in a belt holster. More recently I started carrying a 2" Colt Agent revolver. I keep the first shot loaded with Speer shotshell and rest 4 or 5 rounds are my handload of 158gr SWC @ 850 fps. I've carried a lot of different handguns in past but settled on a lightweight J frame or the little lightweight Agent revolver as it serves my purpose and is small/light enough to be comfortable and out of the way. The shotshell is effective against venomous snakes out to 5 or 6 feet and my SWC rounds are capable of penetrating deep into the brain of large hogs or deer for coup-de-grace shots. A 38 Special is also sufficient on 2 legged varmints. I thought about carrying a 22lr pistol or revolver but most are larger and heavier than LW 38 revolvers and 22lr round may not always be effective for coup-de-grace shots on hogs.
While larger revolvers are more capable I find that large/heavy handguns will not always be carried as they are pain to carry around and often get in the way whereas I put my small revolver and knife on the belt in the morning and I forget it's there until I go to sleep. It's more likely I'll have a small revolver on my belt when I need it than I would with a large/heavy handgun which I may just leave in the truck after couple hours. I also don't see the need for the power of 357mag/10mm or more in 99.9% of cases. A stiff 38 Special round is sufficient for close in encounter with coyotes, dogs, bobcat, etc.

BTW I know of few other members here who frequently carries J frame 38 special out in the woods.
Something like this

I think I've read you saying this before and appreciate you posting it again. I've considered a small/light .38 snub for a possible woods gun before, particularly with snake shot. Which sometimes isn't all that easy to find. Have you had occasion to need the snake shot before? I know we've had snake in camp before during our SEP gatherings. Do you carry any type of reload or speed strip?
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Yes, snake shots do work but from close range only. I think about 5'-6' is the maximum range due to the spread pattern. I have used it to kill a 3 1/2' water moccasin from about 4' and 5 1/2' rattlesnake from about 4'...but they don't die instantly. One thing to know is not to load more than one round with snake shot and make sure it's the first shot. When you shoot any stiff round in a light weight revolver about 60% of times the plastic capsule of any snake shot in the cylinder will move forward from the recoil and prevent the cylinder from turning and preventing another shot. In a heavy revolver it happens less frequently but it still does happen. In reality you don't need more than the first round of snake shot.
I carry 6 spare rounds in a old Bianchi dump pouch on my belt consisting of 2 spare shotshells and 4 spare SWC ammo.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Good info, appreciate it.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Handgun, normally carry my 44mag with the first two rounds snake shot then the rest hardball. If it's crazy hot and muggy I'll switch to my 22mag PMR30 because it's so crazy light. Sometimes I just carry my 10 inch 300BO AR, it's pretty handy too and I don't want it to get lonesome!
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

Outgunu wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:33 am Handgun, normally carry my 44mag with the first two rounds snake shot then the rest hardball.
Rug357 above expressed a concern with loading more than 1 round of snake shot because it might cause additional snake shot rounds to have an issue with the cylinder. Have you had any issues with this in your .44? What threats are you concerned with in your area for a .44 or .300 BO?
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

For amusement.

About 15 years ago, at a gun show - Lakeland, I think - I saw the ultimate carry gun for the woods - a derringer, about 4" barrel......in 45/70. :o
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Never had any issues with the snake shot. I even let my sister shoot a whole cylinder of it to show her the pattern at diff distances with no issues. I do use the larger than normal size shot though. Mainly carry the 44mag because of the size shot it can use along with the hardball/hollow points being pretty good for hogs if I run into any when I'm in the swamp. By-the-way, I have been struck twice by copperheads on one of my properties in NC, I have since cleared most of it except for the swamp areas due to the snake population.
RAN

Post by RAN »

For i .44 Magnum loaded hot can get just about ANY job done, can go .44 Spl's if need to think 2 legged or overkill on recoil and report, Snake loads in .44 spl, fill that void better than most. Short of Squirrel or REAL small game on the plate for the day, that is what works for I.