WARNING, Changes coming.

Questions regarding any FSN board problems. This is NOT a firearms "help" forum.
Legio
Site Admin

WARNING, Changes coming.

Post by Legio »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

In a very near future, I will take the server down to do some work on it. There are a few big issues that I need to address and this can only come from a reset. No data will be lost, so don't worry about that.

I am also considering some type of Premium membership. We are hosted on a private server for free. This is not optimal for us. The person that hosts us is very nice to us, but we cannot do what we want either. I would like to resume hosting on a private server and install options that cost money. Premium money will be used to cover these costs.

I will also change the BST completely. Let me give you a general idea in the direction I am taking this. The format of this ad will be respected. Non conforming ads will be removed on sight. I will provide a template for the ads. Responses to the ads will no longer be possible. All inquiries will be done thru Private messaging (I will increase the size of the mailboxes). All ads will be pruned automatically within 15 days. If your item has not sold, you will have an opportunity to post it again.

Please use this thread to give your opinion about these changes before I go further into it.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

How much are talking for premium membership and what about another fund raiser? I remember auctioning off flak jacket a few years ago and other members sold a few items to in order to raise funds. Might be a good idea to do again
Cwt7691

Post by Cwt7691 »

All in for the premium membership. I have seen on other forums over the years that only members who have paid where allowed to post in a forum's BST. Also I have seen where only members who donated items or bought "raffle" where allowed access to the premium tiered side which included the BST.

Guys, it cost money for these forums to run. Chip in and go with the flow-------- REMEMBER someone other than you has been paying for FSN with cash and time.

Semper Fi
Member since the early days
Semper Fi
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Cwt7691 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 am All in for the premium membership. I have seen only members who have paid where allowed to post in a forum's BST. Also I have seen where only members who donated items or bought "raffle" where allowed access to the premium tiered side which included the BST.

Guys, it cost money for these forums to run. Chip in and go with the flow-------- REMEMBER someone other than you has been paying for FSN with cash and time.

Semper Fi
Where exactly where they when they where allowed to post?
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

JonathanW wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 am How much are talking for premium membership and what about another fund raiser? I remember auctioning off flak jacket a few years ago and other members sold a few items to in order to raise funds. Might be a good idea to do again
I am still looking into the possibilities. Nobody asked me to do anything at this level, but if we want to have something that is working very good, then something has to be done. For example, a premium member could have the option of holding pictures on the server, they could have an email address myhandle@floridashootersnetwork.com and other thing like that.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I don't mind a premium feature, but would the charges be monthly or annually? I've seen forums do both.

If/when we go paid, will we get the old icons back as well, as I know that is something you had wanted to get to but probably don't have the time for.

I'm not sure how I feel about locking BST to premium though, didn't it used to be you had to have a certain amount of posts in order to post in BST? To encourage participating in the community, not just profiting off it.

As for perks of premiums, I've seen forums do emails, bigger avatar files, animated avatars, signatures, stuff like that.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

If "Pro Membership" gets PM notifications working I'd be game for that.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

What's the purpose of locking responses in the BST? I like when folks ask (legit) questions and even make positive comments. Is there a way to make it where responses don't automatically bump threads?
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Skoll wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:56 pm I'm not sure how I feel about locking BST to premium though
It was never my intention.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Wakko wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:38 pm What's the purpose of locking responses in the BST? I like when folks ask (legit) questions and even make positive comments. Is there a way to make it where responses don't automatically bump threads?
I went thru 2 recent dramas about that. I cannot read all the messages and act on them. You can ask the same question thru PM. At least, I think so.

No, the is no way that I know of that will allow me to do so.