RIP, Coach Shula

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

RIP, Coach Shula

Post by tector »

The word legend is overused, but not in this case.

MB
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

I really enjoyed eating in his restaurant in JAX airport. Great steaks! Even Greater Footbal coaching!

RIP Coach.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

So when a famous person who knows nothing about running a restaurant opens one, do people eat there because the food’s really good, or because a famous person owns it, and may be there? Example, Rick who owns the Pawn Stars store in Las Vegas opened a BBQ there. And sometimes he’s there. But he knows jack about cooking BBQ. Why do people eat there? To catch a glimpse of him? A friend goes to Vegas every year, & insists on eating there. This past trip, Rick was not there when my friend was. So he ate the food, but to him, since Rick wasn’t there, it was a wasted trip. GARY
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

N4KVE wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:42 pm So when a famous person who knows nothing about running a restaurant opens one, do people eat there because the food’s really good, or because a famous person owns it, and may be there? Example, Rick who owns the Pawn Stars store in Las Vegas opened a BBQ there. And sometimes he’s there. But he knows jack about cooking BBQ. Why do people eat there? To catch a glimpse of him? A friend goes to Vegas every year, & insists on eating there. This past trip, Rick was not there when my friend was. So he ate the food, but to him, since Rick wasn’t there, it was a wasted trip. GARY
In this particular case, yes, I did select it initially due to the name (and, maybe as there was no better restaurant on the air side of that part of JAX). I came back to it several times thereafter because of the steaks. They were superb. Don actually did know something about steaks. I recall there being one of Adam Richman's "Man Vs Food" challenges in Miami, and on New Year's Eve a few years ago, where he did a 72oz steak in 1hr. And he won. And Shula himself was there to bless the challenge. So, either he knew, or the management behind the chain does know something about steaks.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

N4KVE wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:42 pm So when a famous person who knows nothing about running a restaurant opens one, do people eat there because the food’s really good, or because a famous person owns it, and may be there? Example, Rick who owns the Pawn Stars store in Las Vegas opened a BBQ there. And sometimes he’s there. But he knows jack about cooking BBQ. Why do people eat there? To catch a glimpse of him? A friend goes to Vegas every year, & insists on eating there. This past trip, Rick was not there when my friend was. So he ate the food, but to him, since Rick wasn’t there, it was a wasted trip. GARY
In my experience, restaurants (and other businesses) that carry themselves on the name of someone don't have to push for high quality. People will go in and eat because it's owned by so and so and they may get a glimpse of so and so. Do you go to Hooters for the wings or the girls? Same concept. I went to Shula's burgers once and it sucked...never went back. Never bothered to try his fancier restaurant.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I've eaten at Shula's Steak House at Miami Lakes twice over about 20 years and while I've had better steaks else where Shula's was excellent too. For me, and I expect many others, if the restaurant didn't offer quality food at reasonable price they would not have lasted as long as they have. I doubt Shula knew anything about running a restaurant or maybe even cooking a steak but I bet he knew a good steak when he ate one and wanted to offer what he considered good steak that he would like to eat. My good friend who graduated from a culinary school worked there for couple years and he said it was a very well run operation offering high quality food. BTW I never saw Shula there.
If money was not a consideration I would like to open a nice steak restaurant that specialized in marinated and trimmed skirt steak.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
ParishM

Post by ParishM »

I ate at Shulas in Miami Lakes a few times also, food was always good and great service.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk