Disabled Shooter, S. Florida HELLO EVERYONE

New to FSN? Drop in and say hi!
kjmullin

Disabled Shooter, S. Florida HELLO EVERYONE

Post by kjmullin »

To introduce myself, my name is Kevin and to know a little bit about my background, 17 years ago I was hurt with a spinal cord injury and rendered a quadriplegic and power wheelchair user. I was 23 years old at the time of the incident. I was an active person and had my concealed weapons permit so that I could EDC. My primary reason was that I did work in a rough area at the time and also wanted to protect myself and the ones that I love around me. Upon an ocean related accident (in which I broke my neck catching a wave the wrong way in the ocean) I spent the next five years in constant rehabilitation and understanding my new way of life. I was fortunate enough to travel to a few different states in hopes of receiving the best rehabilitation so that I could be as functional and independent as possible. After returning back to Florida, I learned that I was functional enough and comfortable enough to at least want to have my firearm with me (on my person) at my discretion. I realized that my CCW expired and it was worth me taking a brand-new course and also a possible basic pistol refresher course. At the time, I could not find a company that was comfortable giving me the education and also allowing me to go to the range with an instructor and fire a firearm. I was somewhat shocked. I let go of the dream for about 10 years. Towards the end of last year, I have been working on my own to build strength, form and functionality once again and wanted to aspire to not only get my CCW again but also take another level of certification such as basic pistol or even RSO. I started making a few phone calls and was receiving severe hesitation from many company owners or instructors. I was still puzzled at that time. Fortunately enough, I learned of a company called Treasure Coast Firearms Training that was located less than 25 minutes from me. I made a call and not only did I speak with the instructor, she happened to also be the owner. She was intrigued by my story and asked if we could actually meet in person since we were close to one another and build a little bit of a game plan. To date, I have been fortunate enough to fulfill my CCW and also RSO training. Most importantly, I got back out to do a pastime with two friends and a family member that I have not been able to do in close to 17 years. This company went above and beyond to not only understand my needs but to find ways to accommodate and work with me. Their ultimate goal was twofold; safety and education. I cannot believe how good it feels to be back out on a range with some friends on a weekend with some adaptation that I learned and some of the education. I do not work for this company as an employee or anything like that, I just thought it’s worth sharing with others about the importance of adapting and assisting someone with an impairment. All it took was someone that was open-minded, creative and thoughtful to be able to reintroduce me to a pastime, hobby, sport and personal protection that I truly believe in. The entire team are incredible and even got to shoot a long gun once again as well. They have a multitude of different certifications and courses and I am already trying to speak with the owner and team to see what other courses I may qualify for even if it’s just for the education alone. Each week they come up with a new idea or invite me to come out for another conference, classroom or training that they are doing. I feel like I am back into a community that I once thought was gone forever. If any of you are in the area and are looking for additional training or certification, maybe I will see you out one of the weekends. It’s always fun meeting new people that are like-minded and enjoy our sport. I am the guy in the power wheelchair and welcome anybody to walk right up and introduce themselves. Lastly, I would also like to hear of anyone else who might have a similar situation or know of a company that has helped them in the past. I looked through the forum titles and did a search and could not find another thread like this.
https://www.treasurecoastfirearmstraini ... e?rf=false
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Welcome to our family, Kevin! Your story is an inspiration and proof that a positive headstrong mindset can overcome the greatest obstacles that life throws at us. Keep up the good work!
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
kjmullin

Post by kjmullin »

thank you so much flcracker,
although I have my own set of limitations, I believe everybody has their own personal disabilities or limitations in life. It’s how we react, adapt and overcome is what makes us stronger people. I am just fortunate enough to have found a good company that was willing to work with me and assist with an open mindset. There courses are diligent and by the book but they knew how to adapt some of the physical portions to my situation just by thinking out of the box and asking questions. I hope there are other companies like that around. https://www.treasurecoastfirearmstraining.com/
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

Welcome from Tampa Bay!
kjmullin

Post by kjmullin »

thank you very much. wonder if ever over on the East Coast. it’s fun learning from people about different ranges they use and their feedback. This is a great sport/shopping to learn from many others
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations - way to improvise, adapt and overcome!
MiamiOffshore

Post by MiamiOffshore »

Welcome Kevin! Your story is an inspiration to us all!
kjmullin

Post by kjmullin »

thank you Miami, it’s fun being a part of something that I have missed for a very long time. So many people get caught up in the political aspects of shooting, so many others think of all the harm and negativity surrounding guns/shooting. I always express how therapeutic and recreational it is for me and the friendships/camaraderie I have built again in my social life because of shooting. It’s not always about protection but living a lifestyle that is healthy, fulfilling and enjoyable. I really appreciate your kind sentiments.
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Welcome from Jacksonville, Kevin. Congrats on getting your quals and meeting your goals of shooting again.
I’m curious to learn more about the mechanics of your shooting and how the folks you’re working with have adapted their range to accommodate you. Do you have some kind of specialized shooting rest for your chair? Is there a limitation on the power of certain firearms you can handle, or do you just set the brake and let it rip?
Off To The Races

Post by Off To The Races »

I took my CCW course from Amy at Treasure Coast Firearms Training and she was a great instructor that took the time to answer questions and concerns. She taught the class exceptionally well and had a lot of humility. I've sent two people to take their courses there as well and they were both happy with her too.

Amazing story! So glad to hear that you're back on the range doing what all of us here enjoy. If I ever see you out at the range, I'll be sure to stop by and say hi. Welcome to the forum.