New to FL. Looking for a good range with fair rules

New to FSN? Drop in and say hi!
Mike

New to FL. Looking for a good range with fair rules

Post by Mike »

Hello all,

I just moved to Miami and I'm looking for a shooting range that allow shooter to use steel case, FMJ, hollow points and other type of ammo, no "1 shot, 5 seconds" rule. I used to go to a range on my previous state where they had strict rules but they made sense, so far I could not find a range like that here in the area.

Anyway, excited to be here and hope to have a good time.
tector

Post by tector »

Up in Broward Shoot Straight might work for you. It is right near the Turnpike/595 interchange.

In Miami-Dade proper, my knowledge is rusty. There used to be a decent range in Hialeah, suitable to the Cubans, which meant it was a little wild west. It was just off the Palmetto. But I haven't been there in 10 years, easy. Can't say now.

Besides economics, insurance companies also have a hand in range policies. So rapid fire will be tough anywhere.

There are some "private" outdoor ranges, but until the mid-fall they are unuseable to me--heat, rain and mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds.
Last edited by tector on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
tector

Post by tector »

PS--welcome!
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thank you.

I dont mind the no rapid fire rule but 5 seconds seems too much for me when you want to train how to compensate the recoil, specially because on a real life situation ppl do not wait to fire. Wild west sounds fun but I've seen some crazy ppl out there and some safety is always welcomed.

Anyway, thanks for the tips ,I'll check them out.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

Our local outdoor range has a reasonable rule for fast firing, slow fire only, and nothing that looks like a person.
So no pictures of people, or even USPSA or IDPA targets.
Geezy Pete.
Not completely bad, especially with a slightly different practice approach.
I use a target with four circles, two eight inch ones below, and two six inch ones above.
(two center mass below two head shots)
Oops, did I say that out loud?
Works very well, while skirting the rules.