What, no more postal matches?

Compete with your fellow FSN Members without leaving your home shooting range. Better known as the "Shoot n Mail."
jaytwillerham

What, no more postal matches?

Post by jaytwillerham »

It's not hard to see why.
Most ranges don't allow the kind of shooting postal match scenarios require.
Heck, try to set up multiple targets will probably get you shut down right quick.
But there's an alternative.
Airguns.
No need to even go to the range.
Other than the recoil of a firearm, airguns work very well for just about every thing a postal match requires.
And the blowback pistol version of airguns are very close simulations of .22 rimfires.
The accuracy of those with rifled barrels, both rifles and handguns can impress.
Airguns are an easy way to get in plenty of practice without even spending much money.
These days I use mine more than my shootin' irons.
Just a long winded thought or two.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

I'm not really seeing it.

Unless you own a large plot of land, or a truly impressive mansion you'd likely have to go to a range to shoot an air rifle at a good distance anyway. I can't see someone setting up a 100 yard (or 50 yard for that matter) target completely inside their house without risking taking out part of their walls/possessions. Heck, I couldn't think of a place with 25 yards clear line of sight inside my house, and though my yard is big enough, I can't imagine my neighbors reacting too well to seeing me outside shooting a rifle (I doubt most morons would be easily able to distinguish an air rifle from a real one). More likely, someone would call the police and claim they'd seen me shooting an assault weapon toward the nearby school---not a recipe for a good time.

Bottom line, while you may have an interesting idea, the lack of a range would be the least of the problems that would be tackled by your solution, and if you're going to go to the range anyway, you might as well take a real firearm.

Your title is a bit misleading BTW, your post has little or nothing to do with actual postal matches, which might be of some interest to members.
My posts kill threads.
jaytwillerham

Post by jaytwillerham »

There used to be quite a lot of postal matches here, before the crash.
One of our members posted them regularly.
It's not hard to find plenty of them online these days, so there's no real need to actually post any.
On the subject of practicing with air guns, check out all the top graded competitors who use them on youtube and such.
It's not really necessary to have a large place to use them.
Ten yards for pistol and maybe fifteen for rifle should be plenty.
Small targets help reduce the need for distance.
The point was not having to go to a range at all, unless you want to shoot actual firearms.
But unless it's for an organized match, range rules usually prohibit doing anything fancy.