First responders sound off thread

A forum for LEOs, firefighters, EMT and other first responders to discuss issues pertaining to their fields.
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Former Military Police (11 years) and State LEO (2 years) before switching gears and getting into IT. I'm now on the edge of retirement and have a ton of regret about leaving the LEO fold. I should've looked for a different agency that wanted me instead of just walking away.
TactMedic

Post by TactMedic »

In 2 years I can start looking forward to retirement from OFD but might do an additional 3 years of drop

+

In 3 years I can retire with 30 years from my beloved Navy Reserve.
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

My wife and I aer both on the local Rescue Squad. We resond as first out on just about everything except structure fires.

My biggest sound off is "SLOW DOWN AND MOVE THE FLIP OVER!"

My truck is lit up like a christmas tree and I can't even count the number of times people tell me "Sorry, Did not see the lights. Three deputies patrols, two wreckers, four rescue squad vehicles and an ambulance and you did not see the lights? Well, tell you what, just park your car right over there until I can get a deputy over here to talk to you.

We do a lot to save lives and make it easier for people in accidents only to get dang near ran over almost every day.

Ok, rant off. Thanks and please do slow down and move over. And please wwear that seat belt.
MindSight88

Post by MindSight88 »

Hey all, I'm new here, just signed up.

30 years EMT, Navy Corpsman Vet., Firearms Instructor.

Thank you ALL for your Service.
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

Well, I just completed 33 years of retirement, not bad after 20 years of full time fire service, enjoying every minute here in Florida after 65 years in Chicago area. I was in Air Force for 4 years, got to spend 3.5 years in the south, South Dakota that is, COLDER than Chicago
Moved here a year after my second marriage, wife died 9 years after we moved here, found a GF, she died 4 years ago, still looking for the next victim.
Now 83, and wondering if I'll make 100. In Florida for 19 years now, I'll die here, but not for a long while ( I hope).
UPDATE, Still kicking Sept 2022 Now Mar 2023
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER
flanc

Post by flanc »

@jimmac , good morning! And, what a great post to read first this morning, w my first coffee!

I like the idea of “counting up” (racking up) retirement years as I swore I would NEVER have one of those “countdown” clocks on my desk after I got pulled off the street and behind a supervisors , then admin desk.

I’ll share:

The best advice I got, by far, was from an old friend who left the job a few years before me.

He told me to stay healthy, work out and watch my diet.

He said "Cause that way, the first day of every month you can look in the mirror, smile and say..

“Screwed ‘em out of another month's pension!!" ;)