Best 300 blackout round for hunting?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
BigV5316

Best 300 blackout round for hunting?

Post by BigV5316 »

Do any of you hunt with the 300 blackout? What has been the best ammo for deer and hogs? I'm looking for something that has great terminal ballistics and penetration. I would like to use something that makes a large exit hole for easier tracking and better recovery. Any thoughts?
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I use Barnes 120 gr VOR-TX out of 16" AR on hogs with good results. It's not the most accurate but it will suffice for most hunting distance and gives good expansion based on wound/exit and good penetration. Every hog I shot with it was killed without taking another step with single shot and bullet always exited. I'm down to last few rounds now and after that I'm going to use 110gr version as 120 gr is hard to find.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Flashooter22

Post by Flashooter22 »

Also agree on something loaded with Barnes bullets. I believe I have 110 grain load for my Blackout. I have also taken many deer and hogs with my 6.8 loaded with Barnes TSX and they work very well.
BigV5316

Post by BigV5316 »

Sorry for not responding I've been swamped at work. Is barrel length a consideration? I don't see me getting shots past 50 or 75 yards.
JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 »

Why are you hunting hogs and deer with a 300 blackout?
30-06 or .308 with jhp will do exactly what you were asking about, with essentially the same size bullet and via a variety of bullet weights to match those available in 300 blackout.
Is it because you're using a sound suppressor while hunting? Those hotter rounds with 300 blackout will not be subsonic, if I understand it correctly, which partly negates the sound suppression, again if I understand it correctly.
So if the animal takedown is your main interest, and not just reducing the retort by ? 35-40 decibels, why not just use the tried and true rifle calibers?

This data is about 18 months old, but useful for comparison: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/30 ... allistics/
It includes one Barnes 110 gr entry.
Member since early Obama regime
HK, Ruger, Browning fan
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

JBubba57 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:48 am Why are you hunting hogs and deer with a 300 blackout?
30-06 or .308 with jhp will do exactly what you were asking about, with essentially the same size bullet and via a variety of bullet weights to match those available in 300 blackout.
Is it because you're using a sound suppressor while hunting? Those hotter rounds with 300 blackout will not be subsonic, if I understand it correctly, which partly negates the sound suppression, again if I understand it correctly.
So if the animal takedown is your main interest, and not just reducing the retort by ? 35-40 decibels, why not just use the tried and true rifle calibers?

This data is about 18 months old, but useful for comparison: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/30 ... allistics/
It includes one Barnes 110 gr entry.
Some people, myself included like the versatility that the 300BO has. Mine is very handy and lite with a 10 inch barrel. Would much rather tote it hunting in the swamp than a larger rifle in the calibers you mentioned...
JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 »

[/quote]

Some people, myself included like the versatility that the 300BO has. Mine is very handy and lite with a 10 inch barrel. Would much rather tote it hunting in the swamp than a larger rifle in the calibers you mentioned...
[/quote]

Can you post a picture (privately, if you prefer)? I'd like to see this versatile, lite, 10 inch barrel weapon.
HK, Ruger, Browning fan
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

PM me your email and I will send you as many pics as you would like.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Sent you some pic's. Ha, ha, didn't know AOL was even still supported...
JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 »

Outgunu wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:40 pm Sent you some pic's. Ha, ha, didn't know AOL was even still supported...
Yep. I can still remember when I had to pay for AOL, and listen to the 56k modem click and whistle and moan to connect to the internet! But then I was always an early adapter.

I didn't pay any attention to whoever is your current email provider. Don 't fool yourself--one works just as well as another, when you don't pay for it and don't waste time reading any of the liberal fluff they stick in front of you while you're trying to read your email.

Thanks for the pix.
HK, Ruger, Browning fan