Any place to dove hunt?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

rug357 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm Last year I shot 3 doves at my place because I didn't want to take time to run into the town to eat lunch.
I had few slices of bacon and a loaf of French bread in the cooler so I cooked all the breast with bacon and made a sandwich for lunch...I learned that you need at least 4 doves to make a man size sandwich :lol:
BTW I got lucky and got all three birds with one shot :shock:
Lmfaooo, i dont bother dove hunting for that same reason lol. We used go to the sugar cane fields on sundays and did pretty good. Prefer duck hunting, triple the size lol. Getting tired of those also. The time spent to harvest rate is not worth it anymore so only doing rifle hunting this year for more meat lol.
TheSurvivalist

Post by TheSurvivalist »

rug357 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm Last year I shot 3 doves at my place because I didn't want to take time to run into the town to eat lunch.
I had few slices of bacon and a loaf of French bread in the cooler so I cooked all the breast with bacon and made a sandwich for lunch...I learned that you need at least 4 doves to make a man size sandwich :lol:
BTW I got lucky and got all three birds with one shot :shock:
:lol: That's pretty funny. At least you got lunch out of it, lol.
JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 »

I might be repeating myself, but here goes....
A dove breast is two chicken mcnugget-sized pieces of dark rich meat, and two tiny slivers of white meat between those dark pieces and the breastbone. Unless you've shot the crap out of your dove, these are easy to filet off the breast (or cook them intact with the breast, wrapped with bacon around it--but with the whole breast you risk biting on a piece of shot that way), and wash away the blood clots from the wounds and find any lead shot and remove them. Then cut up the dove pieces into small cubes, and fry them up in a chinese dish as your meat--they go great with noodles, broccoli and carrots, onions, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and the chinese flavoring of your choice (garlic brown sauce, thin soy sauce, thin or thick teriyaki sauce). This also really stretches the dove out. Otherwise, it's all gone in a couple of bites. 6-8 doves is a lot of chinese cubed meat. A full daily limit is oodles to consume this way. Enjoy.
Member since early Obama regime
HK, Ruger, Browning fan