Woods carry

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Deputydave

Woods carry

Post by Deputydave »

What pistol or revolver do you carry in the woods? Why is that your choice and what purpose or threat(s) are you considering in your choice?

I carry a Glock 22.4 loaded with 180 grain WWB JHP. The WWB seems to have good results through four layers of denim in gel tests I've seen on the net. For me the G22 is with me for SD against any two-legged varmint but also my main concern would be a rapid animal. My county was in a high rabies alert earlier this year with several incidents. We're out of the warning as far as I know but it's always in the back of my mind. My brother had an incident with a rabid raccoon the size of a Buick that was slaughtering his hens. Took quite a bit to actually put the damn thing down.

Figure 16 rounds of 180 grain .40S&W will go a long way towards solving any issues that may come up.
Survival and Emergency Preparedness https://www.sepboard.us
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull...because you never know who/what you'll meet in the woods.

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

NIce! Bet it's a handful touching off a round or two. What do you load it with?
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I spend a lot time in the woods hunting and working...I think 80+ days a year. When hunting in the woods I always carry a long gun and a handgun and when working in the woods I just carry a handgun. For past couple years the handgun I carry all the time is a lightweight 2" S&W J frame in 38 special (S&W model 37, 38 or 642) in a belt holster. I keep the first shot loaded with Speer shotshell and rest 4 rounds are my handload of 158gr SWC @ 850 fps. I've carried a lot of different handguns in past but settled on a lightweight J frame as it serves my purpose and is small/light enough to be comfortable and out of the way. The shotshell is effective against venomous snakes out to 5 or 6 feet and my SWC rounds are capable of penetrating deep into the brain of large hogs for coup-de-grace shots. I thought about carrying a 22lr pistol or revolver but most are larger and heavier than LW J frame revolver and 22lr round may not always be effective for coup-de-grace shots on hogs.
While larger revolvers are more capable I find that large/heavy handguns will not always be carried as they are pain to carry around and often get in the way whereas I put my small revolver and knife on the belt in the morning and I forget it's there until I go to sleep. I also don't see the need for the power of 357mag/10mm or more in 99.9% of cases. A stiff 38 Special round is sufficient for close in encounter with coyotes, dogs, bobcat, etc.

BTW I know of few other members here who frequently carries J frame 38 special out in the woods.
Something like this
Last edited by rug357 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

I have been carrying this "handgun" occasionally and it's been working out well. Sorta between pistol and rifle. I thought it was going to be just a noise maker but it has proven to be effective tool.

Deputydave

Post by Deputydave »

rug357 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:56 pm I spend a lot time in the woods hunting and working...I think 80+ days a year. When hunting in the woods I always carry a long gun and a handgun and when working in the woods I just carry a handgun. For past couple years the handgun I carry all the time is a lightweight 2" S&W J frame in 38 special (S&W model 37, 38 or 642) in a belt holster. I keep the first shot loaded with Speer shotshell and rest 4 rounds are my handload of 158gr SWC @ 850 fps. I've carried a lot of different handguns in past but settled on a lightweight J frame as it serves my purpose and is small/light enough to be comfortable and out of the way. The shotshell is effective against venomous snakes out to 5 or 6 feet and my SWC rounds are capable of penetrating deep into the brain of large hogs for coup-de-grace shots. I thought about carrying a 22lr pistol or revolver but most are larger and heavier than LW J frame revolver and 22lr round may not always be effective for coup-de-grace shots on hogs.
While larger revolvers are more capable I find that large/heavy handguns will not always be carried as they are pain to carry around and often get in the way whereas I put my small revolver and knife on the belt in the morning and I forget it's there until I go to sleep. I also don't see the need for the power of 357mag/10mm or more in 99.9% of cases. A stiff 38 Special round is sufficient for close in encounter with coyotes, dogs, bobcat, etc.

BTW I know of few other members here who frequently carries J frame 38 special out in the woods.
Something like this
I think a small .38 is a good choice and like you mentioned, will take care of a majority of your needs. Have you had to use the snake shot at all? If so, what were your results? I've thought about snake shot as we've had snakes in camp before.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Yes, I shot a 3' water moccasin from about 4 feet and it was very effective and didn't need a second shot. I also shot a 5' 6" rattlesnake from about 4 feet but it was hard to tell as a 308 rifle round hit him in the head at same time. IMHO the 38 special and 44 snakeshots are effective on medium size (4' or less) snakes from distance of less than 6 feet. I don't trust the 22lr shotshells as they use very small load of dust shots. I trust 38 special shotshells enough to keep them in my revolver all the time. I see snakes all the time but I only shoot water moccasin and rattle snakes.

I have a friend who carries a Glock 23 all the time at his farm loaded with Winchester 180gr jacketed flat point. He shot a 100lb. hog from about 20 yards directly into the chest from the side with that Glock and the hog dropped within 2 or 3 steps and bled out. The bullet had penetrated the shoulder and into the heart and exited out the other side at the arm (leg?) pit area.

Here is a pic of that 5' 6" rattle snake held by another member of this board.

Again, if you only go out in the woods once in a while then you will get away with carrying anything but if you are in the woods consistently day after day then it needs to be something small, light and out of the way to carry it all the time or it just becomes nuisance and you won't carry it all the time.

Dry Swamp

Post by Dry Swamp »

I've been carrying my GP100 in one of these and love it!

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Don't kill the snakes. If you walk around them, they wont pester you at all.
Casual

Post by Casual »

Dave P wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:19 pm Don't kill the snakes. If you walk around them, they wont pester you at all.
You sir have obviously never seen Snakes on a mutha fkin plane....