How can the Ban Assault Weapons proposal go back to 1991?

Anything and Everything dealing with Political issues.
johnmcd348

How can the Ban Assault Weapons proposal go back to 1991?

Post by johnmcd348 »

I googled the BAWN amendment and found a link to the MyFlorida site that has it: https://dos.elections.myflorida.com/Ini ... 901_EN.pdf

In the PDF there, Section C states:
"(c) The legislature shall enact legislation implementing subsection (b) of this section, effective no later than
December 31, 1991,
which shall provide that anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of
a felony."

Is this an old link to an Old amendment? Is this not REALLY MyFlorida and just another fake website trying to drum up fake news? Thats what I thought as soon as I read that, but the Approved Date is 1/11/2019 by Ban Assault Weapons Now.

Is this a fake? Anyone have a Real link to the actual amendment?

Thanks
We Sleep Peacefully in our Beds at night because Rough Men stand ready in the Night to visits Violence upon those who would do us Harm........ G. Orwell
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

That's part of the existing Article I, Section 8 - the underlined language is what's being proposed.

If the initiative passes, the link shows you how Article I, Section 8 of the Florida Constitution would read.

In looking at any proposed legislation, underlined language is the "new stuff," and anything proposed to be deleted will be struck through. Everything else remains as it is.

It's pretty disgusting to read that whole mess, when you consider that for many, many years, the original provison, before any amendments, was just this:

The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.

Sure as Hell looks like infringement to me.
johnmcd348

Post by johnmcd348 »

Agree 100%

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it
We Sleep Peacefully in our Beds at night because Rough Men stand ready in the Night to visits Violence upon those who would do us Harm........ G. Orwell