Jeep YJ 5th gear woes

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
flcracker

Jeep YJ 5th gear woes

Post by flcracker »

5th gear blowout is a common occurrence in the AX-5 transmission. Mine went while driving on the interstate - all of a sudden, shifting to 5th was like shifting into neutral. I've been driving my 94 YJ around in 4th without 5th/OD for about 6 months. Just turned 92,000 miles so I celebrated by finally ordering the replacement snap ring and sleeve that is needed to fix this issue.

My issue is actually getting the work done. I am not equipped nor am I experienced enough to open up my transmission in my driveway or to pull it to work on it on the bench. The place in Sanford that sells the replacement part (Consolidated/Warehouse Transmissions) told me that if I bring it to them, they will pull the tranny and replace the snap ring and install the sleeve for about $450. The best-recommended transmission shop here in Sarasota (Ralph's) estimated $750 just to do that, but strongly suggested that I be prepared for a complete rebuild and maybe even a clutch at an estimated cost of $1300 - $1500. The thing is, I'm seeing rebuilt AX-5s on-line for about $700, so.....

Any suggestions on the best route to go down would be most appreciated, as would any recommendations for a trustworthy Jeep mechanic in the Sarasota area!
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Joecruiser

Post by Joecruiser »

I agree be prepared for a full rebuilt. I'm surprised you found a shop willing to replace the snap ring only, unless it's a bait and switch, ie: once it's cracked open, you're at their mercy.

I replaced the clutch and tranny on my '01 TJ a few years ago. I removed it...a professional shop rebuilt it...I installed it. Shade tree all the way on my driveway....never again will I do that.

Good luck!
aka: Dolfan
Rchrd.miranda

Post by Rchrd.miranda »

Simple truth is that if you really like the jeep and the body is in good shape a remanufactured tranny is cheap compared to a replacement vehicle. Even if the cost of repair is close to the possible retail value of the vehicle, you know what you have. The thought that xyz repair is too much doesn't really apply to a vehicle that old. New Jeep is nearly highway robbery and used is somebody else's problem. Keep changing the engine oil and plan on doing the required repairs from time to time to keep it running. A reman tranny comes with a warrantee that is usually good nationwide. A local shop guarantees their overhaul work but 99/100 times you have to get it back to the local shop for service. If you are able and willing, doing a swap in the driveway is a lot of heavy work but it's something like a labor of love. It's a lot easier with a tranny jack on wheels. Bottom line bite the bullet and get your favorite toy on the road again. BTW, If you paid for the install when you get a reman you almost never have to pay to have it yanked for service/warrantee work.

Good luck, Richard