Nissan pickups v. All others (gas)

Discussions of all things with motors, wheels, wings and ?????
Orlando Paulitician

Nissan pickups v. All others (gas)

Post by Orlando Paulitician »

First off: what's up guys?! Long time no see!

My laptop broke and I was busy with/spending shit loads of $/time training my land shark, so it's definitely been a hot minute since I've lurked FSN.

I'm looking to get a used pickup. I prefer Japanese because I trust their powertrain reliability more. I rank my preferences as Yota>Nissan>Honda>Mitsubish (I had a crap gen 3 eclipse that shit the bucket after 115K and haven't trusted them since).

I'm looking at the used truck market now, and I'm seeing decent ridge-lines in the $6-9K range, decent Titans in the $9-12K, and decent Tundras in the astronomicallu $20K+ range.

Any thoughts, experiences, or considerations?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm leaning toward the full-sized Titan, because Ridgelines Unibody and Independent Suspension seem to make it not-off-road worthy on anything past sandy and gravel roads.
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
https://www.cacteam.com/
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

Titans are excellent trucks, they look outdated compared to other trucks but they’re second to none in reliability and power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Orlando Paulitician

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:09 pm Titans are excellent trucks, they look outdated compared to other trucks but they’re second to none in reliability and power.

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you know if the larger size of the first gen (circa '15) would fit a "Large" Gunner kennel in the back of the cabin?

They're 41" L x 28" W x 35" H? I imagine Width and Length is probably the largest concern. I imagine the kennel length and width are the most pressing factors.
Waffle-brain alumni. Outdoor-, dog-, and gun-enthusiast. Citizens Assisting Citizens volunteer:
macattack321

Post by macattack321 »

Renault purchased a big chunk of Nissan around 20 years ago (totaling over 40% today), so they're not the company that they once were. Their CVT transmissions are known for problems, but I seriously doubt they would offer/equip one on a pickup truck.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/don ... -going-bad

Personally, I'd go with a naturally-aspirated Tacoma/Tundra or F-150.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

The V6 Titans are thirsty...
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Tacoma, hands down the best choice. They cost more but good their values very well. Check out tacomaworld. Com. Lots of info there on comparisons.
Orlando Paulitician

n0rlf wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:22 am Tacoma, hands down the best choice. They cost more but good their values very well. Check out tacomaworld. Com. Lots of info there on comparisons.
Do you know if the 4-dr Taco would be able to hold a "Large" Gunner kennel (41" L x 28" W x 35" H) in the back of the cabin? If not, then it's probably a hard pass.
Captain Steinbrenner

I would never choose a Tacoma over a full size truck, even if it has a V6 which I would never have in a full size pick up since they suck and gave worse MPG than a V8.

Captain Steinbrenner

Tacomas are for third world countries.

n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Captain Steinbrenner wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 pm I would never choose a Tacoma over a full size truck, even if it has a V6 which I would never have in a full size pick up since they suck and gave worse MPG than a V8.

True, it is not a full size. However mine does a great job. If you are going full size then yeah, stay away from the Tundra. Noisy, drives like a tank, lousy mileage. Consider the Dodge. I went that route for the full size. Seems to get 19 to 20 MPG for me and will tow anything I need. I went witht he 4x4 5.7 engine. Quad cab. I liked the reviews and critiques it got. As for the nissan, well, not in a million years for all kinds of reasons. (SIL is a salesman for nissan) I would steer clear but that is as always just an opinion. I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on you tube.