Palm Beach County Shooting Sports Park

Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Thats great news flshooter22. This place is gonna be jammed packed for a while i think.
Skltr

Post by Skltr »

Should we start a local "pool" on the actual opening date?
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Cubanstang50 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 pm Thats great news flshooter22. This place is gonna be jammed packed for a while i think.
Will it? The PBSO range is rarely "jammed." In fact, it's like a private club... the same small group of folks show up every weekend it's open.

That's not to mention the new shooting park is not nearly as easy to get to (as the PBSO range).

It's been delayed for something like 8 years... I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Racer88 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm
Cubanstang50 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 pm Thats great news flshooter22. This place is gonna be jammed packed for a while i think.
Will it? The PBSO range is rarely "jammed." In fact, it's like a private club... the same small group of folks show up every weekend it's open.

That's not to mention the new shooting park is not nearly as easy to get to (as the PBSO range).

It's been delayed for something like 8 years... I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.
I'd imagine because the PBSO range (which should have actually been the public range) is only open to the public so few calendar days, no one wants to rearrange their schedule to go. That and I'd imagine most people don't want to willingly bring their firearms under police supervision for any reason.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Skoll wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 am
Racer88 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm

I'd imagine because the PBSO range (which should have actually been the public range) is only open to the public so few calendar days, no one wants to rearrange their schedule to go. That and I'd imagine most people don't want to willingly bring their firearms under police supervision for any reason.
The PBSO range has been open for 1 - 2 weekends per month for years. As for the bolded "excuse," nothing could be sillier. They run a VERY nice range. The RSOs are excellent - helpful and friendly. Honestly, those of us who go there have all said we'll miss it when they close (if the new range ever opens). The PBSO RSOs are the best I've encountered at any range.

The only "logical" reason to avoid the police when in possession of guns would be... well... because they have a REASON to avoid the police altogether. :roll:
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | Certified Range Safety Officer | NRA Patron Life Member
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Sure buddy, you keep thinking in the age of RPOs, that the police are our friends.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Skoll wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:21 am Sure buddy, you keep thinking in the age of RPOs, that the police are our friends.
Don't know what an "RPO" is. I'm not big on obscure acronyms.

But, whatever, dude. The officers I've encountered at the PBSO range have been simply great. Super-friendly and helpful, all while running a nice range. Though, the majority of shooters there are long-time regulars, so the RSOs don't have to deal with unsafe goofballs very often. Some of the officers, I'd gladly have a beer with. I've had a lot of great conversations with some of the officers. But, you want to know something about respect? It goes BOTH ways and is usually mutual.

I've been a regular at the PBSO range for about 2 years, and I've had nothing but excellent experiences there. But, I understand some people are afraid of the police (and for the usual reasons by the usual suspects). ;) I'll say I'm glad they don't come to that range, too. I don't like sharing a range with riff-raff. :)
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Holy shit, you are one arrogant, assuming fuck. I bet you support anti privacy shit on the basis of flawed arguments like "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.".

And RPO means Risk Protection Order, have you been living under those boots you take so much joy in licking?
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Can't blame them, they are only following orders.
Racer88

Post by Racer88 »

Skoll wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:06 am Holy shit, you are one arrogant, assuming fuck. I bet you support anti privacy shit on the basis of flawed arguments like "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.".

And RPO means Risk Protection Order, have you been living under those boots you take so much joy in licking?
I haven't assumed anything about you. We've never met.

But, I don't harbor animosity, categorically, towards LE. That said, if you knew me, you'd know that I'm a HUGE advocate for privacy. For example, I would never consent to a search during a traffic stop. I also would not say anything... answer questions about my day or my destination. Pure business... about the traffic stop.... but, with respect. No need to be an asshole to the cop, even if he's an asshole.

And, I have "lectured" my friends MANY times about the FALLACY of the "if you have nothing to hide" argument. Hoo-boy, have I! LOL!

Sorry, like I said, I rarely use acronyms, so they don't automatically ring a bell. But, yes... I'm familiar with the risk protection order issue, and I'm very much OPPOSED to it.

I consider myself a strict Constitutionalist. RPOs (I'll use the acronym now that I know what we're talking about) are flatly unconstitutional. They violate multiple amendments.... 4th, 5th, and 14th... as far as I know. No due process? No deal. Unconstitutional. Period.

So, who is assuming? :) Listen... nothing personal here. I don't know you. And, I'm mostly a lurker here. Let's chill, eh?

I was just advocating for the excellent experience I've had at the PBSO range. They really ARE a good group of guys. The guy at the check-in desk is a bit surly, but he's OK once you get to know him a bit. :) The officers who run the range... outstanding. Really! Super-friendly. Helpful. And, they run a SAFE range. Fortunately, it's rare that someone shows up who is careless. So, the RSOs very rarely have to step in. I actually look forward to seeing the RSOs there. I always shake their hands on arriving and leaving. Sometimes I get one of those "bro hugs." Officer Eric... one cool cat! :D

I have a lot of respect for LEOs. Of course, there are SOME who are not deserving of respect. That's true in ANY profession, unfortunately. But, in my experience and observations, the crappy officers are few and far between. I had one bad traffic stop experience many years ago - in another state (Memphis, TN) This guy was off the charts nuts. He was CRAZY angry. But, I managed to stay calm and in the end, he calmed down and ... no ticket. It's unfortunate that some bad eggs get through.

I hope the new place is run as well as the PBSO range.

Peace. Let's get the thread back on topic.