Do most Broward ranges allow non-brass cased handgun ammo?

tector

Do most Broward ranges allow non-brass cased handgun ammo?

Post by tector »

I have a friend driving down from Tennessee. Where lives (NE suburbs of Nashville) apparently most ranges do not allow handgun ammo that is not brass (or so he tells me). He has a crapload of Wolf 9mm and .40 that he'd like to shoot while visiting down here since he can't use it up there. I thought Shoot Straight, Gun World, Nexus, Pembroke all allowed steel and aluminum cased handgun ammo, but I just want to be sure. I don't see anything on their websites expressly banning it, but thought I'd ask the collective genius of FSN.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I have worked at several gun store/ranges where steel cased ammo is not allowed. It has nothing to do with safety, but has to do with the empty cases that are swept up off the floor. The stores sell the empty cases to recyclers who do not want steel in their brass. In many cases the brass is melted, & used for something else, & nobody wants to pay for someone to separate the brass cases from the steel ones. So if steel cased ammo is not allowed in the store, it can’t end up in the brass swept up at the end of the day. GARY
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:50 am I have worked at several gun store/ranges where steel cased ammo is not allowed. It has nothing to do with safety, but has to do with the empty cases that are swept up off the floor. The stores sell the empty cases to recyclers who do not want steel in their brass. In many cases the brass is melted, & used for something else, & nobody wants to pay for someone to separate the brass cases from the steel ones. So if steel cased ammo is not allowed in the store, it can’t end up in the brass swept up at the end of the day. GARY
Oh I know the reason, and told him. But what's the answer locally? Am I wrong? I can't recall the last time I had Wolf handgun ammo, but I certainly have shot aluminum cased ammo (Blazer, Herter's) within the past 10 years, but not in the last couple.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I only work shows now, but when I worked at the stores, all ammo was inspected before being allowed on the range. So I would tell your friend to be prepared to buy ammo that is “range friendly”. Try calling the local ranges, & asking them what their current policy is. GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:51 am I only work shows now, but when I worked at the stores, all ammo was inspected before being allowed on the range. So I would tell your friend to be prepared to buy ammo that is “range friendly”. Try calling the local ranges, & asking them what their current policy is. GARY.
I think I will call SS, which is where I used to shoot. The whole point is he wants to shoot up his Wolf .40 and 9mm that he can't easily use in TN. I can only imagine the cost of range ammo right now. I will probably only shoot my .22s, since I have over 15k rounds of that laying around (!)
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

They don’t care at Markham Park. Take him there. GARY
tector

Post by tector »

N4KVE wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm They don’t care at Markham Park. Take him there. GARY
Gary, I love you--but I don't need answers to questions I didn't ask. Markham sucks for pistol shooting, especially given their range nazis' definition of "rapid fire."

Thanks anyway, you can stop trying (unsuccessfully) to be helpful.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I understand. But sometimes life is a compromise. On one hand you have ranges that will not allow steel case ammo, or any ammo you didn’t buy from them that day. On the other hand you have range Nazi’s that will allow that ammo. Please post here the range that allows him to shoot his ammo so we can all know. GARY.
tector

Post by tector »

I will do so. I'll check SS and GW for sure. I am just trying to accommodate him--it's really his question. As I said I'll probably just pop off some of my mountain of .22LR.
mohshard

Post by mohshard »

Try Pembroke indoor. As long as it isn't steel core they've been cool in the past.

Or, if you're feeling brave there is always Revere indoor.....