Miami-Dade Requires BG Check on Private Sales?

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

wcontratto wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 am
P5 Guy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 am
tector wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm

God, maybe 10 years ago they were running stings on them at the Miami gun show. So it was definitely being enforced.

To my recollection Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and and at least one Central Florida county have these rules. Government-as-landlord has leeway not allowed to government-as-government.
Orange County home of the tourist trap, Orlando fun show mandates UBC.
Contrary to popular opinion, the fairgrounds aren't owned by the government. The property is owned by a non-profit corporation, The Central Florida Fair, Inc. The property is not "public" so I am pretty sure the county ordinance is not enforceable. I'm pretty sure the owner of the gun show doesn't mind restricting private sales. Especially since he is also the largest participant in the show and private sales are competition.

That being said, I don't want to be the test case.
Private sales at the show are not restricted. They are allowed. The seller, & buyer simply go to any FFL at the show, & ask them to transfer possession. This means the buyer fills out a 4473, & a BG check is done. This is clearly explained to all FFL’s on Saturday morning before the show opens. GARY.
wcontratto

Post by wcontratto »

N4KVE wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm
P5 Guy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 am

Orange County home of the tourist trap, Orlando fun show mandates UBC.
Contrary to popular opinion, the fairgrounds aren't owned by the government. The property is owned by a non-profit corporation, The Central Florida Fair, Inc. The property is not "public" so I am pretty sure the county ordinance is not enforceable. I'm pretty sure the owner of the gun show doesn't mind restricting private sales. Especially since he is also the largest participant in the show and private sales are competition.

Private sales at the show are not restricted. They are allowed. The seller, & buyer simply go to any FFL at the show, & ask them to transfer possession. This means the buyer fills out a 4473, & a BG check is done. This is clearly explained to all FFL’s on Saturday morning before the show opens. GARY.
uhm, requiring an FFL to participate is the restriction I was talking about.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

wcontratto wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm
N4KVE wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14 pm

uhm, requiring an FFL to participate is the restriction I was talking about.
Well then the seller, & buyer simply leave the show, & go down the street to the nearest Walmart parking lot to complete the transaction. The gun show promoter is simply following the rules set by the venue owners. GARY
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I was at the Miami show today. Big sign says absolutely no private sales. Then next section down says something along the lines of “.....but if you do engage in a private sale you must go through a dealer for a background check....”

Observation / question:

I did not see a single dealer who was offering to do a background check for a private sale.

If a dealer did do a background check on a private sale would the dealer have to transfer the gun to his book first?

So, potentially:

Fee to transfer in
Background check fee
Fee to transfer out

???
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Btw, ZERO deals at the show. I did pick up 1,000 rounds of Rem 115 9mm for 180 cash. Nothing special but I did not want to wait for shipping. Certainly with 13 admission and 5 parking, it would be a horrible deal if I went there just for ammo.

I actually hit a few pawn shops in Dade and Broward on the way back home.

Prices there sucked double what I saw at the show.

For me, I will stick to FSN, Florida Gun Trader, Davidsons and Gunbroker. That’s were the deals are.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

There's a CWP exception, don't forget.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Is this background check BS being pushed by the FFL dealers to pad their profits?
A couple of FFL I used to know really hated the private, no questions asked tables at gun shows.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

No. It's to close the "gunshow loophole".
tector

Post by tector »

This has been the rule for at least 10 years, perhaps since they moved to the Fair.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Wakko wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 am There's a CWP exception, don't forget.
You referring to the exception on the waiting period rule or are you saying a cwp gives you a background check (as being required in this case) exemption as well?
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.