Lakeland Gun Show @ Sun n Fun 20SEP20

45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

Big_mike wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm
45caldan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 am Absolutely not worth it!
Just left.
Stood in line for 1.5 hours
Little ammo and all FMJ pistol ammo Was $1. A round.
No good deals of corse
I was thinking of heading over to have a look-see.

What was the cause of the long line to get in? Not enough access control or huge crowds, both?
Lots of people there since its been a while I guess and letting only so many in at a time.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

indy1919a4 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:13 pm
Just left.
No good deals of corse
So I got to ask, You went there hoping for pistol ammo...??? Had you ever gone to that show before??. It was never an Ammo buying show.. Possible a few collector type boxes and maybe a few guys with some surplus ammo. And then in this current climate, I would not look for any ammo at any show until you start to see the online sellers having stock.

Honestly am I missing the boat, was the real purpose of this to just Bitch and moan about this show and hell most shows?? It really saddens me to go to a gun forum and read such lack of joy for guns.
Real purpose was to let the OP know what he was I for if HE was looking for deals of any kind.
I have been to this show many times and know what it is (but I also have been able to buy ammo there without getting screwed).
I like looking at older guns as well but there is nothing new (meaning nothing that wasn't there the last 20 times) to see....
Sorry if I hit a nerve....Jeez
Last edited by 45caldan on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big_mike

Post by Big_mike »

45caldan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:16 pm
Big_mike wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Just left.
No good deals of corse
I was thinking of heading over to have a look-see.

What was the cause of the long line to get in? Not enough access control or huge crowds, both?
Lots of people there since its been a while I guess and letting only so many in at a time.
Right, COVID capacity limits, oof.
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Not all that long ago, gun shows were social gatherings, where a group of people with a common interest could get together, swap stories and information (even knowing some was just bullshit) maybe buy something interesting or sell something no longer interesting. The smaller local shows, before commercialization, were like going into a poorly funded county museum, set up by the local historical society, except you could actually handle the exhibits, and maybe take one home. Some of the best shows I attended were where I walked in empty handed and left the same way. But, I always felt my blood pressure was a little lower, and I had sense of satisfaction thinking, "you know, that was an enjoyable way to spend a couple hours and more entertaining than anything Hollywood has offered me for the same price in years."

The internet has spoiled a lot of that. Now, folks learn about guns and decide what they have to have from Youtube instead of actually talking to knowledgeable people and if they go to a show and can't find the latest whiz-bang poly poodle popper at a price below what Bud's Guns is offering, the show "sucks." So they go home and order it from Bud's, which they should have just done in the first damn place.

In today's society, it's enough for me that I can go someplace to browse and talk with like-minded people about something I really enjoy, where I know I don't have to worry about offending anyone, or put up with BLM / Progressive / Leftist / Globalist / Political bullshit. If I buy something, great - if not, I still had a better time than spending that time watching network news or being waited on in a restaurant by some social justice warrior who actually believes Biden and his crew will make this country better. The way things are going, my opportunities for such pleasures may be numbered.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

You are right Odessaman.
I started going just before the internet changed things.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

45caldan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 pm
Just left.
No good deals of corse
So I got to ask, You went there hoping for pistol ammo...??? Had you ever gone to that show before??. It was never an Ammo buying show.. Possible a few collector type boxes and maybe a few guys with some surplus ammo. And then in this current climate, I would not look for any ammo at any show until you start to see the online sellers having stock.

Honestly am I missing the boat, was the real purpose of this to just Bitch and moan about this show and hell most shows?? It really saddens me to go to a gun forum and read such lack of joy for guns.
Real purpose was to let the OP know what he was I for if HE was looking for deals of any kind.
I have been to this show many times and know what it is (but I also have been able to buy ammo there without getting screwed).
I like looking at older guns as well but there is nothing new (meaning nothing that wasn't there the last 20 times) to see....

Your opinion on what you saw is very valuable, But just blanket comments like no good deals is just harmful to all those who set up and those who are looking to buy. And they are just not accurate. I purchased 2 guns there myself at prices that were lower then what I have seen on gunbroker.. I am happy.

And saying there was nothing there that was not there before is not accurate. I saw many things that were not there just the last show (2 of them I own). Now there were some guns that I remember from the last few times. Per prices there were some high prices, but thats to be expected at a collectors show like that. And there are ways around those higher prices.

There was probably 400 tables there, 300 dealers and 1000s outside wanting to get in, many with some walk in guns. Seemed a damn good start to a day.

So many times how people write about things tell you more about the person then what they are writing about.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

Odessaman wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:47 pm Not all that long ago, gun shows were social gatherings, where a group of people with a common interest could get together, swap stories and information (even knowing some was just bullshit) maybe buy something interesting or sell something no longer interesting. The smaller local shows, before commercialization, were like going into a poorly funded county museum, set up by the local historical society, except you could actually handle the exhibits, and maybe take one home. Some of the best shows I attended were where I walked in empty handed and left the same way. But, I always felt my blood pressure was a little lower, and I had sense of satisfaction thinking, "you know, that was an enjoyable way to spend a couple hours and more entertaining than anything Hollywood has offered me for the same price in years."

The internet has spoiled a lot of that. Now, folks learn about guns and decide what they have to have from Youtube instead of actually talking to knowledgeable people and if they go to a show and can't find the latest whiz-bang poly poodle popper at a price below what Bud's Guns is offering, the show "sucks." So they go home and order it from Bud's, which they should have just done in the first damn place.

In today's society, it's enough for me that I can go someplace to browse and talk with like-minded people about something I really enjoy, where I know I don't have to worry about offending anyone, or put up with BLM / Progressive / Leftist / Globalist / Political bullshit. If I buy something, great - if not, I still had a better time than spending that time watching network news or being waited on in a restaurant by some social justice warrior who actually believes Biden and his crew will make this country better. The way things are going, my opportunities for such pleasures may be numbered.
No need to let the Internet of Webs get in the way of a good show... Now you need to cut that damn evening news out... that will kill you..
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

indy1919a4 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:06 pm
45caldan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 pm

Your opinion on what you saw is very valuable, But just blanket comments like no good deals is just harmful to all those who set up and those who are looking to buy. And they are just not accurate. I purchased 2 guns there myself at prices that were lower then what I have seen on gunbroker.. I am happy.

And saying there was nothing there that was not there before is not accurate. I saw many things that were not there just the last show (2 of them I own). Now there were some guns that I remember from the last few times. Per prices there were some high prices, but thats to be expected at a collectors show like that. And there are ways around those higher prices.

There was probably 400 tables there, 300 dealers and 1000s outside wanting to get in, many with some walk in guns. Seemed a damn good start to a day.

So many times how people write about things tell you more about the person then what they are writing about.
OK you had a good time...

OP, its up to you to decide. 3 hours is a long way. I don't know what you are looking for in a gun show but FOR ME it wouldn't be worth that drive!
I would NOT do it.
Its a far cry IMO from what it used to be!
Much smaller as well.
joker223

Post by joker223 »

I was planning on going to find some deals on some small pistol primers........
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

joker223 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:20 pm I was planning on going to find some deals on some small pistol primers........
I would not count on any deals for pistol Primers... Honest I did not see any.... But total truth I was not looking for them.