Parts Kits and Projects Picture Thread!

Discuss your latest firearms project! DON'T post normal maintenance questions here.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

Somebody is going to have a good time.👍
redeagle

Post by redeagle »

Awesome! Enjoy the build.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Gonna be a beast. Looking into modern stock options. I think I want a short, modern, tactical 8mm Mauser carbine.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

^ Going to be the "Taliban Tanker" Mauser carbine. Was a $199 Persian sporter from Centerfire. Stock was already shortened when I got it, and barrel was shortened to 22" and drilled and tap for a scope rail, and aftermarket front sight base. So I don't feel bad cutting it down even shorter.

Arabic marked stock, receiver, rear sight leaf. A neat little carbine. Numrich had the parts it was missing for super cheap. Just need to fit the bayonet lug and front band onto it for a cleaner look....and toss it in a lathe to turn down the front of the barrel to fit the original military front sight base.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

That tanker is going to have a nice look, I do not know if I ever even seen such a little beastie like that ever..

I do hope you post finished photos.. Those trebch mags can wear you out doing a mag dump. :)
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

indy1919a4 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:19 am That tanker is going to have a nice look, I do not know if I ever even seen such a little beastie like that ever..

I do hope you post finished photos.. Those trebch mags can wear you out doing a mag dump. :)
Biggest challenge so far is the lip for tucking the upper handguard into the barrel band.

I’ve got it 98% fitted right now, but it’s paper thin.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to do something to strengthen that area or it’s going to split/snap off pretty easily.

Either soak it in something that will penetrate the wood and harden, or shape some kind of thin steel liner to run inside/under the upper wood handguard in the front.

Probably going to have to weld the Bayonet Lug & Front Band together, and have them removable as a one piece unit. There’s not enough real estate on the barrel to slide the band forward without hitting the front sight. I think. Not 100% sue yet.

Not sure if I want to try to use an original type retention spring or not yet. May just run a screw through the hole in the band right into the wood and say f*ck it, but there's not a ton of wood to grab onto. The retention spring looks tricky to cut into the stock by hand without making it look like crap.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

I pass no judgements, I look down on no rifle that shoots.. And each of us must do what is right for them..

BUUUUUTTT A screwed held on barrel band is the last refuge of the scoundrel :)

Thanks for the update.. what should be a hoot to load up.. Does the Persian have a crest on it???
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

It does have a crest, but it’s drilled through it for the scope mount 😥

The problem with the band “retaining spring clip” is that it was never supposed to be that far back on the stock, and it’s considerably thicker there.

I had to taper the wood down quite a bit where it meets it’s new bayonet lug / front band.

You can’t even fit a factory fatter rear band where I’m at with it.

It would take quite a bit of thinning the meat for about 3” towards the front to even close to the depth being right to use that retaining spring.

Not saying it can’t be done, but I don’t think I can do it without making it look like shit. I’m impatient anyways, it’s hanging in the garage with the 2nd coat of wipe-on poly as we speak. I have a gallon of that crap to use up and just don’t have the patience for BLO lately.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

As received, with a oversize stamped TG, already drilled and tapped, and 2" taken off the original barrel. It was then drilled and tapped by the muzzle end for an aftermakert front sight base. Missing the ejector, rear sight parts, etc.

And in "Taliban Tanker" config , 16.25" barrel

Getting the front sight on will be fun. Gonna need a decent size lathe.