Legality of home made hollowpoints?

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
BerettaRacer

Legality of home made hollowpoints?

Post by BerettaRacer »

Asking for a friend only.
If my friend were to have an excess of target/ball ammo, but not enough factory hollowpoints for defense, is it legal in Fla to taper drill the tip of ball ammo to make poor mans hollowpoints?
Now you would lose some mass, probably from 115 gr down to 100 gr or so, but the better expansion might make up for that, and limit the over penetration of ball ammo.
Again, just asking for a friend.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

I am curious how the modified projectiles perform on water jugs.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Why not just pull the projectiles and load HP projectiles? Observing proper mass comparisons, and, any effect on volume, I don't see a problem. Safer than taking a live round and putting it under a drill.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
Taco

Post by Taco »

FL has laws against some exotic ammo- but it's mostly weird stuff, not HPs.

Also, you can't make your own ammo commercially, so no making stuff and selling it without licences and such...

Not a lawyer, but I don't know of a reason why you legally couldn't drill a bit of a dent into a round.

(I'd be much more worried about heat from drilling if I were you.. you know... gunpowder and all)
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

It depends where your friend lives.

If your friend lives in one of the Communist Counties, like here in Mosquito County, or down in Broward or Dade, he will be dead meat no matter what kind of ammo he uses to defend himself. The Soros elected Commie DA's will prosecute anyone that defends themselves. And g-d help you if you defend yourself against BLM.

The concept of self defense no longer applies.

Any other questions?
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!
Dave P

Post by Dave P »

Tell "your friend" to add a drop of mercury into each drilled hole. Garanteed one stop shot. Heck, him them in the thumb , and it will still knock them on their ass. True, my friend tried this.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

No, it's perfectly legal to make his own HP out of ball/FMJ or other solid bullets.
While he can legally make them I bet he will be disappointed with their performance. It takes a lot more just a hole at the tip of the bullet to make them expand and penetrate. Bullet makers spend a lot of money to develop their hollow point bullets so it will perform.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

What’s wrong with hitting the bad guy behind the one you’re blasting on the first place.
FMJFTW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Taco wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:42 pm
(I'd be much more worried about heat from drilling if I were you.. you know... gunpowder and all)
Do you really think that a steel bit drilling into lead will generate enough heat to cook off gunpowder? :roll:
Taco

Post by Taco »

TC6969 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:45 pm
Taco wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:42 pm
Do you really think that a steel bit drilling into lead will generate enough heat to cook off gunpowder? :roll:
Powder? No, but don't primers pop at like 300*... Drilling Round 1 probably won't get too hot, but round 100... *shrug* hot barrels cook off rounds, drill bits get hot... Don't know, but I wouldn't want to be at eye level if a case does pop.