Anybody ever shot this round

Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
Firemedic2000

Anybody ever shot this round

Post by Firemedic2000 »

It's called .277 Wolverine it's a 5.56 case necked down and loaded with 85 to 110 grain .277 cal bullets. It can be loaded with heavier bullets and fired from a 1/7 twist barrel subsonic or with the 1/7 you can shoot sonic also.

It has a 1/11 twist barrel strictly for sonic which I guess allows faster velocities for the lighter bullets because that twist take less pressure to push the bullets faster.

It shoot 95% of the 6.8 spc capability but cost less to load and brass is a whole lot less and more available. Plus all you need is a barrel change.

The .277 Wolverine uses the same mags, bolt everything else the 5.56 uses verses a bolt and barrel and new mags with 6.8 spc.

I'm going to build one and try the barnes .277 cal TTSX 95 grain and 90 grain gold dot in it. I got a screaming deal on the TTSX 95s 335 shipped per 1000 those can cost up to 39.00 per a box of 50. RMR has brand new 90 grain gold dots for 190.00 per 1000 shipped also.

Anyways I found this interesting and thought some of you guys here might also. The brass is super easy to make also. The dies are readily available. Plus tons of load data available to. MDWS has alot of the parts and instructions.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
TACC

Post by TACC »

Firemedic2000 wrote:It's called .277 Wolverine it's a 5.56 case necked down and loaded with 85 to 110 grain .277 cal bullets. It can be loaded with heavier bullets and fired from a 1/7 twist barrel subsonic or with the 1/7 you can shoot sonic also.

It has a 1/11 twist barrel strictly for sonic which I guess allows faster velocities for the lighter bullets because that twist take less pressure to push the bullets faster.

It shoot 95% of the 6.8 spc capability but cost less to load and brass is a whole lot less and more available. Plus all you need is a barrel change.

The .277 Wolverine uses the same mags, bolt everything else the 5.56 uses verses a bolt and barrel and new mags with 6.8 spc.

I'm going to build one and try the barnes .277 cal TTSX 95 grain and 90 grain gold dot in it. I got a screaming deal on the TTSX 95s 335 shipped per 1000 those can cost up to 39.00 per a box of 50. RMR has brand new 90 grain gold dots for 190.00 per 1000 shipped also.

Anyways I found this interesting and thought some of you guys here might also. The brass is super easy to make also. The dies are readily available. Plus tons of load data available to. MDWS has alot of the parts and instructions.
Dies anyone make a factory barrel for it, or complete upper?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

Oh yes Hornady makes dies for it and LEE does also. I got a crimp die from LEE there are several companies that make barrels just google it. MAD DOG WEAPONS SYSTEMS carries everything for though. Starline make new factory brass if you want to buy new brass. Also WTF makes brass trimmer and there are case gauges made for it also. It's getting ready to be released on SAMMI SPECS

I've got a 12.5 inch 1/7 twist barrel right now. I'm also getting a 18 inch 1/11 twist to. MDWS sent me a 20% off coupon. Also RMR has a screaming deal on 90 grain Speer GOLD DOT .277 BULLETS 190.00 per 1000 shipped.

MAD DOG has a forum on these rounds also.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS