Everything ammunition! What to use, where to get it, surplus ammo headstamps, the science of reloading and more.
- Posts: 637
- Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm
- Location: Wimauma
P5 Guy wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:49 am
Jacket separation in the barrel is a possibility.
Your friend will be taking the covering jacket and turning it into a tube. Remember the back of FMJ is exposed lead, remove the tip and now the jacket MIGHT separate from the lead core. If the jacket stays in the barrel bad things can happen.
I actually saw this many years ago.
The shooter didn't realize what happened and the 100 or so rounds that he put down the barrel after it happened permanently welded the jacket inside the bore.
Gun still shot OK, but when the barrel got scoped, there was a copper colored stain about 2" down the bore.
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 pm
- Location: Pines
gforester wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:23 am
TonyR wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:25 am
Don't be so cheap,buy real hollow points !
Amen! This what I was thinking from the git-go. If you can't afford proper self defense ammo, then you shouldn't be carrying a gun.
It's not so much affording it for some.....it's FINDING it! Unless you roll your own (I do), finding it isn't so easy right about now!
- Posts: 446
- Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm
- Location: Sarasota
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:50 pm
- Location: NW Hillsborough County
BerettaRacer wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Asking for a friend only.
If my friend were to have an excess of target/ball ammo, but not enough factory hollowpoints for defense, is it legal in Fla to taper drill the tip of ball ammo to make poor mans hollowpoints?
Now you would lose some mass, probably from 115 gr down to 100 gr or so, but the better expansion might make up for that, and limit the over penetration of ball ammo.
Again, just asking for a friend.
This is just my opinion.
Please be a good friend to your "friend" and tell him:
1. He's a dumbass if he lived through any part of the Obama administration and doesn't have enough self defense ammo for every fighting gun he owns to feed it as long as he thinks he might need to if he can never buy another round of self defense ammo starting yesterday;
2. He's a cheap bastard if he can't learn how to reload and buy components and every piece of equipment he needs to do so including bullet molds of the desired configuration and enough wheel weights to make enough bullets to last as long as he needs assuming he can never buy another round of defensive ammo starting yesterday;
3. If he's guilty of #1 and #2 above, he's probably better off continuing to eat cereal in his underwear and play Call of Duty and binge watch Walking Dead in his mom's basement, and stay away from guns until he's matured quite a bit.
Again, just my opinion.