Paint over parkerizing

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Medic0079

Paint over parkerizing

Post by Medic0079 »

Curious opinions on parking then painting an hk vs just painting.
cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

Well, I can't say I've done it myself, but there's a guy over on UZITalk that swears by powder-coating over parkerized parts. He says that the parkerizing process leaves the metal especially well suited to accepting powder coat. Mind you, he's doing this on full auto UZIs, but I've fired one of his and they're quite nice with that finish. I have no idea how it would look on an HK.
My posts kill threads.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Parkerizing gives a texture for the paint to grip if i had the choice that’s how id go park ,then paint. Just remember prep. Your prep is everything i would soak it in a acetone bath over night to de grease/oils out of it. Then if the paint chips or scatches you still have the park on under it. When i first joined this board back in 1999 2000 before the board crashed , I was a paint shop doing custom finishing work and camo . Thats till the atf made me become a 07 . The one thing i learned about paint was if your prep sucks So dose your longevity of the paint.
chạy trốn hoặc giết tất cả và đốt hooches của họ.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Its been awhile, but my dad used to swear by this;

Norrell's Moly Resin applied over fresh park.

JUST DONT OIL THE PARK (you're supposed to, you'll want to....just say NO)

We did lots of AK's like this back in the golden days of AK building. It was very durable. It's almost a coral-like structure, and paint bonds really nicely.

Sweep's 100% right about the prep though, although in my experience Parkerizing is a pretty forgiving process.

For HK's I've always used Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy FWIW. Mostly because I'm cheap though...there are always better options. But once baked, its relatively durable.

cvasqu03

Post by cvasqu03 »

That's some beautiful work there NorincoKid.
My posts kill threads.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

cvasqu03 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:11 pm Well, I can't say I've done it myself, but there's a guy over on UZITalk that swears by powder-coating over parkerized parts. He says that the parkerizing process leaves the metal especially well suited to accepting powder coat. Mind you, he's doing this on full auto UZIs, but I've fired one of his and they're quite nice with that finish. I have no idea how it would look on an HK.
powdercoat is too thick for most firearms