Can you convince me that I need body armor?

Lever guns, hunting guns, black powder, plinkers, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, night vision, sling shots, bows 'n arrows, knives and anything else that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Firemediceric

Can you convince me that I need body armor?

Post by Firemediceric »

Discussion with some fellow shooters, some who I consider shopping mall ninjas and others in law-enforcement and with career military backgrounds who I have a lot of respect for. The consensus is that I am a fool to not own body armor. I disagree.

Although I often feel not completely dressed if I am without my EDC handgun, and although I keep one within reach while at the house, I do not see an occasion where I would ever don body armor. Others are arguing that if I need to protect property after a natural disaster or otherwise forewarned that I may need to defend myself and family that I’ll want to have the body armor.

I feel it will be money wasted and just something else to take up room in the closet. Am I wrong?
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

JonathanW wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:43 am Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
This. I wear body armor for a living as part of my job and I'll be happy to help you pick something out that's functional and practical for whatever budget you have.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Firemediceric

Post by Firemediceric »

Skoll wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 am
JonathanW wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:43 am Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
This. I wear body armor for a living as part of my job and I'll be happy to help you pick something out that's functional and practical for whatever budget you have.
I’ll take you up on that offer to help me make a selection. I won’t get into it too deep moneywise because I’m just not convinced will do anything other than sit in the closet. I’ll appreciate your insight though
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Firemediceric wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:10 am
I’ll take you up on that offer to help me make a selection. I won’t get into it too deep moneywise because I’m just not convinced will do anything other than sit in the closet. I’ll appreciate your insight though
Well it's going to be hundreds of dollars regardless. There are good, cheap non Condor plate carriers out there, some for real bargain prices, but plates are never cheap. The ones that ARE I wouldn't want to trust my life to.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

Skoll wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:11 am

Well it's going to be hundreds of dollars regardless. There are good, cheap non Condor plate carriers out there, some for real bargain prices, but plates are never cheap. The ones that ARE I wouldn't want to trust my life to.
Please continue with your recommendations here in this thread. I think many of us are interested. I would think that the commonality for most of us is that we do not wear body armor on a regular basis, so we need to balance cost and comfort level vs. effectiveness. Also, long-term storage and potential degradation over time.

What are the basic things that we should be looking for in a non-professional's body armor rig that will be stored much more than it will be worn, but needs to be comfortable enough to want to wear it in a post-hurricane environment?
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

flcracker wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:32 am
Skoll wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:11 am

Please continue with your recommendations here in this thread. I think many of us are interested. I would think that the commonality for most of us is that we do not wear body armor on a regular basis, so we need to balance cost and comfort level vs. effectiveness. Also, long-term storage and potential degradation over time.

What are the basic things that we should be looking for in a non-professional's body armor rig that will be stored much more than it will be worn, but needs to be comfortable enough to want to wear it in a post-hurricane environment?
Like most things of quality, it's based on price. It's based on how willing you are to learn how to wear armor correctly and how to move in it, etc. Body armor is simply trade offs on speed vs protection and vice versa. Some people might want to turtle up, but you'll move like ass. Others might just want to be able to run around the Everglades. I can put together a basic quick reaction kit with links, no problem. That being said for a good set up I'd put away maybe $500 for a decent budget carrier and front/back 10x12 plates.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Any particular brands of body armor we should look at and any that we should stay away from?
Also what level of protection do you recommend...level II or IIIA or...
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
p7fl

Post by p7fl »

I take a lot of classes. At one last year one of our local LEOs let me try on his vest. It was Kevlar plates front and back. He took the soft armor that came with it and used that on the sides. I would guess about 30 lbs total.
It would take a lot of training wearing that to ever become efficient with it on. I just don’t see myself ever using it.
But if YOU felt better wearing the vest to a range or had to go someplace bad then YOU should have the right to make that decision.
This the same feel good type of law that took bayonet lugs and shrouds off rifles in 1994.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

rug357 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm Any particular brands of body armor we should look at and any that we should stay away from?
Also what level of protection do you recommend...level II or IIIA or...
Level II and IIIA are usually in concealed vests or used as backers for plate carrier plates. A properly fitted IIIA vest is going to run you about $1000 at a police supply store. You can find them much cheaper on ebay though but you'll have to know your sizes as those are usually second hand LEO vests.

As for brands, etc here is a handy chart :

p7fl is right as well, you have to be willing to put the time in to learn how to move in these things. They are very hot and can be very uncomfortable. That training will pay off though if you ever have to use it.