What's the best way to season cast iron?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

gforester wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 pm
TC6969 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 pm
gforester wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm I know this has nothing to do with cast iron pots, but after all, this is a gun forum.
I once wondered if you could season a gun barrel like a frying pan, but I never had the nerve to try it.
Hmmmm,that thought never occurred to me. I guess you like to think outside the box? I imagine you could try it but would you use gun oil or flax seed oil? :D
I have assembled several ARs which I first put all the parts in the oven on warm 150° for 15 minutes, then coated everything in Militec oil, then put it all back in the oven for another 30 minutes, then let cool. I have no idea if it improved the corrosion resistance, but it did leave a nice patina on everything. I'd do it again.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
photohause

Post by photohause »

zeebaron wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:48 pm Seasoning cast iron has nothing to do with the oil's smoke point. Peanut oil does not give a nice polymerized non-stick coating like linseed oil, it just leaves a gooey/sticky residue. I know, I tried lots of oils/fats.
You are correct! I was posting in reference to cooking in high heat. Sorry if I did not communicate
that.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?