What's the best way to season cast iron?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
dieselbeef

Post by dieselbeef »

second the seasoning with lard..or of course you save bacon fat..that works well also
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

TheKernel wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:04 pm Use Flax seed oil instead of vegetable oil.
Is it THAT much better that someone would drive around trying to find some over just reaching onto a shelf in their kitchen?
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I thought all you old guys kept Flax seed oil around to stay regular :lol:

Winn Dixie has it
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:45 pm
Winn Dixie has it
Same question.

Winn Dixie is 6.5 miles away.

How much better is flax seed oil that I would get in the truck and drive 13 miles instead of taking 3 steps and grabbing the squirt bottle of Canola next to my stove?
gforester

Post by gforester »

Sandblasting is a pretty abrasive process that can remove metal. I have had good luck restoring cast iron pots using my cheap-ass Harbor Freight blasting cabinet with glass beads as the blast media. Pots come out smooth as a babies ass ready for a quick wash before seasoning.

The cabinet works great for prepping gun parts for Duracoat refinishing as well. I know this has nothing to do with cast iron pots, but after all, this is a gun forum.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

gforester wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm I know this has nothing to do with cast iron pots, but after all, this is a gun forum.
I once wondered if you could season a gun barrel like a frying pan, but I never had the nerve to try it.
gforester

Post by gforester »

TC6969 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 pm
gforester wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm I know this has nothing to do with cast iron pots, but after all, this is a gun forum.
I once wondered if you could season a gun barrel like a frying pan, but I never had the nerve to try it.
Hmmmm,that thought never occurred to me. I guess you like to think outside the box? I imagine you could try it but would you use gun oil or flax seed oil? :D
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

gforester wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:22 pm

The cabinet works great for prepping gun parts for Duracoat refinishing as well. I know this has nothing to do with cast iron pots, but after all, this is a gun forum.
I definitely wouldn't want a bunch of heavy rust, food , grease and lord know what else introduced into my blasting cabinet, but maybe that's why home duracoat-cerakote jobs look like crap.
t_bare

Post by t_bare »

Whatever oil fat you chose, use salt as an abrasive to scrub the pan. This will also fill the micro pores in the metal.

Chef Todd ;)

t_bare
gforester

Post by gforester »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:36 pm
I definitely wouldn't want a bunch of heavy rust, food , grease and lord know what else introduced into my blasting cabinet, but maybe that's why home duracoat-cerakote jobs look like crap.
But that gives the firearm character! Nothing like a few rust flakes and chicken fat globs to impart that rustic look.