Whats Up With People Blocking license Plates In Ads?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TC6969

Whats Up With People Blocking license Plates In Ads?

Post by TC6969 »

In about 30% of Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace ads, people go to great pains to cover their license plate in the pics.

Whats up with that?

What can a person with a picture of a license plate do that someone behind you at a red light cant do?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Same as people covering the serial number of their gun when posting it on line. GARY
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Same geniuses who place their registration stickers all over the plate instead of the upper-right corner. 🙄

https://amp.miamiherald.com/miami-com/f ... 89290.html

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

N4KVE wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 pm Same as people covering the serial number of their gun when posting it on line. GARY
Well...there is some concern about firearm serial #'s...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... al-numbers
tector

Post by tector »

There is a registration and record title system for automobiles, not guns. Not yet at least.
“But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case it is unfit to exist.”
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I still don't get it.

You block the license number in the picture, but one trip to the corner for a pack of smokes = 150 people seeing the same license plate you just covered up in the picture. :roll:
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I can see it. Though your point about 150 random people seeing a tag has merit, those people won’t necessarily have any interaction with the vehicle owner.On the other hand, consider the Facebook universe, with an average mentality of someone in junior high school. Vendettas, etc.”Swatting”. Paranoid? Maybe. It only has to happen once. “Richard’s Theorem on statistics”states, if the calculated probability of an event is .001%, if it happens to you, the probability becomes 100%.

Not being on Facebook, my probability is null.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

REDinFL wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am I can see it. Though your point about 150 random people seeing a tag has merit, those people won’t necessarily have any interaction with the vehicle owner.On the other hand, consider the Facebook universe, with an average mentality of someone in junior high school. Vendettas, etc.”Swatting”. Paranoid? Maybe. It only has to happen once. “Richard’s Theorem on statistics”states, if the calculated probability of an event is .001%, if it happens to you, the probability becomes 100%.

Not being on Facebook, my probability is null.
the old days when someone would flex their internet muscles you could search where they messed up and had posted say a pic of their new mustang in their driveway a year or so back, grab the plate, have your LEO buddy run it, find out where David "talksalota" Smack lives at 1234 Main street, let him run his mouth a little more and when he used to say something like bring it tough guy, send him a $ 5.99 Domino's with Anchovies and cheese and then ask him in the open forum how he likes the fishy pizza the next day, then watch all the butt hurt, when he figures he can't hide in his moms basement anymore. :mrgreen:

one particular FSN user, finally posted a picture of himself shooting after years of running his mouth on the internet, and I told him
I thought you'd be a lot bigger
:roll:
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm ...grab the plate, have your LEO buddy run it...
One public records request to FLHSMV to determine who ran my plate, I then own that cop, his pension and his Department will have a bronze plaque with my name on their lobby wall. ;)

Nonetheless, if someone does happen to run my plate, they'll see this when they roll up to my registered address... :lol:

Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:09 am I still don't get it.

You block the license number in the picture, but one trip to the corner for a pack of smokes = 150 people seeing the same license plate you just covered up in the picture. :roll:
Or, they block the plate on Facebook Marketplace, yet the car is parked in their driveway, house address showing, profile indicates their real name, where they work, where their kids go to school and what they had for dinner last night. :roll: :lol: