Cell Phone Data Theft

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lighteye

Cell Phone Data Theft

Post by lighteye »

We all know that our cellphones are a privacy nightmare and may be our undoing. Here's a little article explaining data capture in android based and apple phones. It leaves me pondering getting a burner -

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/android- ... collection

""Both iOS and Google Android transmit telemetry, despite the user explicitly opting out of this," the paper adds. "However, Google collects a notably larger volume of handset data than Apple.""

I do have a Faraday bag that works like a champ, but it's becoming more nightmarish daily to carry around this little electronic spy.
photohause

Post by photohause »

Interesting...thanks for the post. I'm not an old fart, but I act like one. I have my phone to call home, and home to call me. I do not text, have not contacts, nor email set up on the android. I also do not have gps or roaming, if that's what it's called. I don't travel anymore, not leave our small town of 25k.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

Thanks to Snowden we know the Gov collects huge volumes of cell phone "metadata" including your ID and location tracking, which they use algorithms and AI to analyze to know who is located (likely interacting) with whom. Given a person's cell ID, it's pretty easy to track who they have likely interacted with and where. I like to turn off my cell phone when I'm out of the house unless expecting a call or to make a call.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Call me old fashion, but I see no reason for a cell phone.
Have never had one, and doubt I ever will.

Had a AT&T landline (49 years worth), but due to piss poor service, I dropped it early this year.
Now have Verizon Home Phone, non mobile cell service, for half the cost of the old AT&T landline.
That will very likely the closest I ever get to a cell phone.
Casual

Post by Casual »

Springfield wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 pm Thanks to Snowden we know the Gov collects huge volumes of cell phone "metadata" including your ID and location tracking, which they use algorithms and AI to analyze to know who is located (likely interacting) with whom. Given a person's cell ID, it's pretty easy to track who they have likely interacted with and where. I like to turn off my cell phone when I'm out of the house unless expecting a call or to make a call.
Your phone isnt really off when you press the button
Springfield

Post by Springfield »

It's off unless NSA installed their stuff. Otherwise you'd know it when it boots up. Could remove the battery on my older phone to make sure, but not often a feature any more.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Simple solution, dump the cell-phone.
Land Lines Rock !!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
lighteye

Post by lighteye »

Springfield wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:18 pm It's off unless NSA installed their stuff. Otherwise you'd know it when it boots up. Could remove the battery on my older phone to make sure, but not often a feature any more.
Now you know why you can't remove your battery anymore. Just because your display is off doesn't mean your phone is, in fact, I'd bet good money as long as it has even a hair of a charge, it's on and listening.

Faraday bags work wonders.
Flame Red

Post by Flame Red »

Some phone do stuff even when powered off. https://www.xda-developers.com/iphone-f ... urned-off/
Ah that's one thing about our Flame, doesn't play any favorites! Flame hates everybody!