Anybody Shooting the Springfield Hellcat?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Have been hearing a lot of advertising on these lately.

I was at Shoot Straight yesterday to tune up a 22lr rifle for a silhouette competition this weekend, and just decided to run some rounds thru a couple of my less used carry guns, Kahr PM9 and Kahr CM9. They shoot good, and well made but I just don't get excited about shooting them. So I took a look at the Hellcat's on display, and they are just about identical in size, and even fit the same holsters. The only thing that doesn't cross over is the spare mag pouch. The Hellcats get good reviews but I don't know anyone shooting/carrying them.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

Never shot one, but they feel good in the hand and I like the sights. I remember hearing about some issue with them when they first came out that resulted in a lot of warranty repairs - maybe firing pins breaking? I believe they got that under control, but haven't heard much about them lately, good or bad.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

I recall the early ones having the striker lug breaking off on a few of them, the firing pin/striker tip issue was with the sig 365. Many seem to like them but its not my preference as I'd prefer the sig 365 line of pistols over them. Both early issues are non-issues now and they both run well.
Captain Steinbrenner

Post by Captain Steinbrenner »

My friend bought one the other day and we shot it side by side with my 365XL S and we both liked the SIG better.
Still a great gun, nothing wrong with it but we both shot the 365 more accurately and overall like it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
n0rlf

Post by n0rlf »

Both wife and I tried both out. We both have the 365xl now as a carry. He's is primary where mine is a backup to my 19x. Both have Holosun red dot sights on them. Love that set up. The hellcat shot well just the sig was more comfortable.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Love it better than a Block.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

There are now several similar guns in that category that was started by the Sig P365.
Besides the Hellcat there is the S&W Shield plus, Kimber Mako, Taurus GX4 and Ruger Max 9. All with at least 10 rds or more capacity.

Ruger also now makes a LCP max. 10 rd .380

Lots to choose from these days.

I have the P365 and switched the grip module to the XL and am happy with this setup for IWB carry.

If I didn’t have the Sig I’d probably get the Shield Plus…
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

Thx all for replies and advice.

I'll probably check out some of the newer models at one of the upcoming shows. Maybe see whats available for rent for a test fire.

Odessaman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:25 pm I remember hearing about some issue with them when they first came out that resulted in a lot of warranty repairs - maybe firing pins breaking?
One of the things I saw about the Hellcat was something to do with a part in the striker system was a plastic sleeve, being a weak point. One of the aftermarket trigger upgrades changed this to a stainless sleeve for better reliability.
We applied rule 303.

Harry "Breaker" Morant
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

We applied rule 303.

Harry "Breaker" Morant
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

One Miami show working at the SS booth at the Springfield tables, a Hellcat owner pointed out a possible deficiency. If you’re at a range shooting a Hellcat with all the time in the world, it works great. But if in a life, & death situation, where the gun may not be gripped properly, & your finger is on either front corner of the trigger, & try to pull it back at an angle, making sure the safety is depressed, the trigger will not move. I tried this on 5 Hellcats, & they were all the same. The guy who pointed this out called Springfield to send it back for repair, & they replied it was a non issue. Suddenly my urge to buy one died. But a month ago while setting up for Ira, I found one that did not have this issue. I was considering buying this one, but it was stolen less than a foot from Joanne’s face. That sucked. So those of you with a Hellcat, try to pull the trigger from the corner making sure the safety is depressed, & post here what happens. GARY.