Corrections trainee killed by accidental discharge

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Wakko

Corrections trainee killed by accidental discharge

Post by Wakko »

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/23549204 ... g-exercise
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Correctional Officer on the job for less than three months killed in training exercise

A Florida Department of Corrections officer who had only been on the job for less than three months died during a training exercise, officials said.

Officials with FDOC said Correctional Officer Trainee Whitney Cloud was injured by an accidental discharge during firearms training at the Harry K. Singletary Training Academy in Crawfordville Thursday.

Cloud was then taken to a nearby hospital where she later died.

Officials said no other officers were injured in the incident.

Cloud, who was assigned to Jefferson Correctional Institution in Monticello, Florida, started with the Department of Corrections June 25, 2021.
I know that sometimes we feel that ROs are "range nazis" and sometimes yes, their communication is poor, but this is why. I'm sure that the whole story won't come out any time soon, but it's tragic nonetheless. I'm curious if this was an accidental discharge, a negligent one, or a hot pistol that was supposed to be empty/Simunition. Check, then check again. We all make mistakes.
Lastrites

Post by Lastrites »

Just when you think it's clear, it isn't, sad incident.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Sounds like she ND'ed herself...

Whitney Cloud was assigned to Jefferson Correctional Institution and enrolled in training at the Harry K. Singletary Training Academy at Wakulla Correctional Institution in Crawfordville. It appears she was injured by an accidental discharge during firearms training on August 26, 2021. No other staff were involved. She was transported to a nearby hospital where she later passed. She began her public safety career with the Department June 25, 2021.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
TACC

Post by TACC »

Is this a little fishy, that she ND's and dies?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lighteye

Post by lighteye »

We trained with then ancient .38 revolvers and Remington 870's in my academy in the mid 90's. I wonder what they were training with at that range? I can't imagine a trainee unsupervised at the range with live ammo. Someone besides the trainee screwed up fatally if that was the case. If it was straight up poor handling, well....I feel bad for her surviving family.

As a side note, I knew Mr. Singletary personally as a child, he was a family friend. I met him again at my CO academy graduation.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

There was an incident in the not so long ago days where academy instructors relied upon magazine disconnects and assumed "all" handguns had them.

So coming in off the range they pulled mags at the door and then engaged in some impromptu weapon retention exercises. Everything was going fine until a cadet pulled his duty weapon and successfully discharged the single round left in the chamber.

I thought I had seen and heard everything stupid that was done by LE academies, instructors, etc. I learned that I was wrong.

This incident could have literally been almost anything.
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

There was a local incident years ago where a cadet fired his weapon when he holstered it. Bullet entered and exited his pants without touching him, and now those pants are on the wall as a reminder.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Reminds me of the ATF agent I think in the classroom full of kids.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

TonyR wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:31 pm Reminds me of the ATF agent I think in the classroom full of kids.
It was a DEA genius...must've been getting high on his own supply:

Agent Who Shot Himself In The Foot During Gun Safety Talk Sues DEA Over Video

Published: Apr. 14, 2006 at 4:37 PM EDT

(ORLANDO, Fla.) -- A DEA agent who accidentally shot himself in the foot while demonstrating gun safety to school children is suing the agency, saying video of the incident has made him the joke of the Internet.

Lee Paige was making a presentation to children at the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association on April 9, 2004, when he shot himself. Moments before the shooting, the 14-year agency veteran was displaying his firearm and telling students he was the only one in the room professional enough to handle a gun.

He was suspended for five days without pay after the accident, and the video was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration. The lawsuit filed April 7 in federal court in Washington alleges the agency leaked the video to the public.

After it surfaced, the tape soon became popular on the Internet. It aired on television, including late-night talk shows.

Paige "is the target of jokes, derision, ridicule and disparaging comments" because of the publicity, according to the lawsuit, which seeks an unspecified amount.

DEA spokeswoman Rogene Waite declined comment because of agency policy not to discuss ongoing cases.

Paige, 45, of Windermere, told NBC's "Today" show Friday he cleared the weapon but forgot to release the magazine.

"I was at the point of attempting to demonstrate how the gun could be disassembled and put back together," Paige said. "It is something I had done hundreds of times throughout my career."

Paige, a former player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said he can't work undercover anymore because of the tape.

"Yesterday I walk into a salon and a young lady made mention to me I was the person that shot myself on TV," Paige told NBC. "It is something I can't get away from."