St. Augustine things to do

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Casual

St. Augustine things to do

Post by Casual »

4 day 3 night vacation in St. Augustine in november.

Things to do? Some touristy old spanish stuff?
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Consider dinner at Saltwater Cowboys.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Go to the Beaches restaurant and get the shrimp and grits!
gforester

Post by gforester »

Castillo de San Marco is a great way to spend half a day. The old Spanish part of downtown has lots of interesting things to see and it is right across the street from the Spanish Fort. If you like Cuban food the Columbia restaurant has excellent food. There is also Cajun food at Harry's Seafood in the same area, basically all these sites are walking distance from each other. Only a short drive North from the old downtown is Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. Just across the bridge a few miles down on A1A is the Historic St. Augustine Lighthouse. St. Augustine is a great place to spend a few days and not run out of things to do.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Late honeymoon,LOL. Never been over to St.Aug but its on my list of things to do.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
glockeyed

Post by glockeyed »

.................. :shock: ...................
braknek16

Post by braknek16 »

Check our the st Augustine winery and also the St Augustine distillery
revelation

Post by revelation »

Back in the day I was accepted to Flagler College. If you like to walk take a tour of the campus.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell
Casual

Post by Casual »

TonyR wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm Late honeymoon,LOL.
Worse, mother in law is coming to the country......
Taco

Post by Taco »

I like real 'live like a local' and adventure vacations, but unlike many I like cheesy tourist stuff too...

I enjoyed the old Town trolly- gives a decent enough 'tour' (set expectations low, like a tour by your uncle of the old neighborhood- facts may be a bit fast and loose) and the easy all day parking and hopping on and off is very convenient. Does a good job in having enough stops and enough trams running so you're not waiting forever.
I liked the old jail... mostly just a concrete building with a tour guide telling stories, but it was worth it if you like true crime or are interested in old time law enforcement stuff...
The oldest store next door my wife liked more than I did, but was entertaining. The walking street with all the vendors is nice, nothing unique to St. Aug, but was worth walking.
Pirate museum can be a skip unless you have someone really into pirates. It has one of the world's only actual pirate chests and some authentic pirate flags- but mostly geared to the 7 year old demographic...
The fort was a good time, lots of details to explore. Had lots of flags through the years, but was never taken by combat. Fountain of youth was 'meh'...
Ended up in the Lightner museum when it was under renovation- couple wrong turns later and we saw a bunch of cool stuff that I don't think was on display. We opened a door that led to a back ally and we bailed.
Park with the big statue was nice... lots to see and read, good walk.
There is a wine place. Quick FYI, FL wine sucks. Soil is poor (which is perfect) but it's too humid and rains too much which ruins it... Only thing we can do here is go the Coke route and add so much sugar you can't taste anything else. If you want to have some Welch's with 8 sugar cubes and a teaspoon of alcohol go ahead, but it ain't wine and it's not a good use of your time.
Did some ghost tours... none were entertaining enough to mention, and since ghosts don't exist we didn't see any.

Scarlett O'Hara's was good pub food.
Aleworks was average pub food but had very well priced beer specials when we were there.
The Floridian was innovative and trendy food, very good when we went.