Anyone here ever use Amtrak auto train ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

MARK wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 am I took it from Lorton to Sanford last April. I got a little claustrophobic when going up to the second deck where my roomette was. Funny it usually only affects me if I’m on a small plane and am sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off, so it spooked me a little. It was compounded by me being on the top bunk as my girlfriend had the lower bed.
Don’t know about the whole firearms thing as I didn’t bring one.
The mask thing wasn’t an issue at the time as you could take it off in your roomette.
I probably would not do it again unless I got a bedroom with a bath to ease the phobia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is a little tight getting up those stairs, yes. And, to think, I did it carrying all my carry on luggage. I brought on a lot more than they'd allow in coach due to lack of space. They even balked at me bringing all my carry ons up, but since I was in my own "full bedroom" by myself, they relented.

I basically carried on all my valuables that I didn't want to leave in the car. Remember, your car has to stay "unlocked" while in the container. This, so that they can get to your car to start it when unloading. The containers, themselves, are locked during transport by the station crews, and only they (and the conductor) have keys. Furthermore, you have to leave the driver window down in case your car locks "automatically." Finally, if you have a "Passive Alarm," make sure you turn it off before you check in. The vibrations on the train will certainly set off the motion detectors. You don't want your battery to run out and be embarrassed that your car blocked other cars from getting out. That's a huge no-no. :oops:
tector

Post by tector »

My instinct is to just drive anywhere (there's not much difference in time), but my God I-95 sucks. Last time I drove it was still two lanes through much of the Carolinas, like when it was built in the 60s--only now the population of the SE US is like 4 or 5 times greater.

No expressway of any kind should built with less than 3 lanes each way--invariably it will need them, if not more.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

I'm trying to leave the pig that I drive at home.Estimated fuel in the 350 $$ range.One way.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
tector

Post by tector »

TonyR wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:06 pm I'm trying to leave the pig that I drive at home.Estimated fuel in the 350 $$ range.One way.
Wow, fair enough then. And rental car rates are crazy right now.

I do like having a gun though. In 2015 I drove to VA and then was going to head north to Toronto, coming back through Michigan. The drive from here to VA was fine for guns, as would be Michigan all the way south. So I found a FLL in Michigan on a Michigan gun forum much like this; Fed Exed him my gun from VA; did only the commie part of of my trip without a gun, and then picked up my gun in MI and had it all the way home.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

tector wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm My instinct is to just drive anywhere (there's not much difference in time), but my God I-95 sucks. Last time I drove it was still two lanes through much of the Carolinas, like when it was built in the 60s--only now the population of the SE US is like 4 or 5 times greater.

No expressway of any kind should built with less than 3 lanes each way--invariably it will need them, if not more.
An alternative to I-95 is I-81. From my former origination in the PRNJ, I could take either I-95 (via I-287) all the way down, or I could "go west" and take I-78 W to where it turns into I-81 in PA, and then curves down through Maryland, West Va and then Va. I-81 then crosses i-77 S near Roanoke. Take I-77 S all the way through South Carolina, then on to I-26 which will get you back to I-95 S south of Charleston. In my case, it was only 26 miles longer, but the drive much easier. It's still 2-lanes each way, but you share it with the truckers who behave themselves. And, while in VA, you are going down the Shenandoah Valley. Also some very great Mountain vistas as you cross the state line from VA to NC. Be careful and focus on the driving, though.
tector

Post by tector »

FfNJGTFO wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:15 pm
tector wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:22 pm My instinct is to just drive anywhere (there's not much difference in time), but my God I-95 sucks. Last time I drove it was still two lanes through much of the Carolinas, like when it was built in the 60s--only now the population of the SE US is like 4 or 5 times greater.

An alternative to I-95 is I-81. From my former origination in the PRNJ, I could take either I-95 (via I-287) all the way down, or I could "go west" and take I-78 W to where it turns into I-81 in PA, and then curves down through Maryland, West Va and then Va. I-81 then crosses i-77 S near Roanoke. Take I-77 S all the way through South Carolina, then on to I-26 which will get you back to I-95 S south of Charleston. In my case, it was only 26 miles longer, but the drive much easier. It's still 2-lanes each way, but you share it with the truckers who behave themselves. And, while in VA, you are going down the Shenandoah Valley. Also some very great Mountain vistas as you cross the state line from VA to NC. Be careful and focus on the driving, though.
I have done this drive, and it is better, but if I was going to the DC area (where my BIL lives) it really is kind of out of the way. But it does work for some further north destinations. It works for NYC (which I have avoided since 2010).
Gregmp15

Post by Gregmp15 »

We used it couple times in 1976-78
Got us from Va to Sanford Fl
Can’t remember much I was 16?
Wasn’t any place to
Lay down
photohause

Post by photohause »

I used to live in N VA outside of D.C. - from the Blue Ridge to D.C. with good conditions it is/was under 2hrs.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

They've got roomettes that are set up for 2,your own toilet in your roomette. I'm a picky bitch,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
tector

Post by tector »

photohause wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:11 pm I used to live in N VA outside of D.C. - from the Blue Ridge to D.C. with good conditions it is/was under 2hrs.
Sunday morning 4am lol--if they are not doing road construction. That DC area is not fun to drive!