Anyone here ever use Amtrak auto train ?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
TonyR

Anyone here ever use Amtrak auto train ?

Post by TonyR »

Makin' a trip to D.C. in a few months,was thinking about getting a roomette,don't need my truck. The train's leave Sanford at 4 p.m. ,with one stop in Florence S.C. to change crew,then gets into Lorton Va.(D.C.) at 9 a.m. next morning,they say a 17 hour trip. I've got all the time in the world,so doesn't matter,I just don't like the thought of getting in a flying can with a bunch of who knows what. Yea,I'm gettin' old and think about this stuff,LOL. TIA..
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I have from St.louis to California the room I had was nice the only downside was the food and snacks were high but besides that, it was a nice trip.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
tector

Post by tector »

lakelandman wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:17 pm I have from St.louis to California the room I had was nice the only downside was the food and snacks were high but besides that, it was a nice trip.
Auto-train from STL to CA? Are you sure? I know there was one from Florida to Louisville a billion years ago, but I don't recall a east-west route.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Not auto train my bad.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:57 pm Makin' a trip to D.C. in a few months,was thinking about getting a roomette,don't need my truck. The train's leave Sanford at 4 p.m. ,with one stop in Florence S.C. to change crew,then gets into Lorton Va.(D.C.) at 9 a.m. next morning,they say a 17 hour trip. I've got all the time in the world,so doesn't matter,I just don't like the thought of getting in a flying can with a bunch of who knows what. Yea,I'm gettin' old and think about this stuff,LOL. TIA..
I used the Auto Train many many times before I no longer did (maybe a couple of years before I moved to FL permanently).

First, you cannot take the Auto Train as a passenger only. You must bring your car and pay the car transport fee. I would say that the auto transport fee is very competitive with the fuel cost of driving the same distance.

Second, the Roomette is OK (certainly better than riding "coach") and you do have a private sink in the roomettes, but no private toilet (which you do in a "full bedroom..." along with a private shower). I always took the full bedroom. It was worth it. Just depends on whether or not you think it's worth the expense. It was for me.

Third (and the main reason why I stopped using the Auto train, even before I moved to FL), YOU CANNOT TRANSPORT FIREARMS... even in the vehicle you bring. Normally, you can transport firearms on most "long distance" AMTRAK trains that have a baggage car with a steel cage. You check it in, and you get it back at your destination. But since there's no concept of a "baggage car" on the Auto train (your car serves that purpose), and your car has to remain "unlocked" during transport, bringing firearms is not permitted. In fact, your car is subject to search by the Amtrak police dogs as you arrive at Lorton Va (and maybe Sanford as well, but I never saw them there). If the dog alerts on your car, it's going to be a bad day for you (prepare for the "Shake and bake" inspection). Hope you get there in enough time. Car check-in starts at 11:30am and stops promptly at 14:30 when passenger boarding begins. You better hope your "inspection" is done by then.

"All Aboard" is 3pm and the pasenger doors close. This is because they have to move some cars (even passenger cars) to assemble the train and tack on all the car containers. If all goes well, they can depart earlier than the scheduled 4pm and usually do, to give as much time as possible as they use the CSX tracks along the way, and the freight trains get priority on those tracks. Most of the time, it does arrive late, and breakfast time is adjusted accordingly. Sometimes, it does arrive early. I recall one time where it did arrive in Lorton at 07:45a, before the station actually opened. We had to stay aboard the train until the station opened and the local crews came to unload the car contaners.

But if none of the above bothers you, then I'd say, go ahead and take it. Definitely get a roomette or better. You'll also find a different class of people there (the train buffs and fans and the people that know how to ride it and respect others). I wouldn't ride coach. I mean, they're pretty respectful also, but it's a noise thing (and a lack of space thing). If I didn't have to transport firearms with me and I was arriving in that area, then I'd probably ride it again.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Last edited by FfNJGTFO on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Didn't plan on taking a firearm with me,was wondering about the pocket knife though.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

TonyR wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:08 pm Didn't plan on taking a firearm with me,was wondering about the pocket knife though.
I think you should be OK with a pocket knife... I don't think they're doing "metal detectors" yet.... But I haven't ridden since 2014, so you might want to check.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I have taken Amtrak a few times, and although I love trains I would take a plane any day over one of those long trips suffering in a useless corona mask.

Don't forget, you are still required to wear a mask on all public transportation until Biden says you don't...
MARK

Post by MARK »

I took it from Lorton to Sanford last April. I got a little claustrophobic when going up to the second deck where my roomette was. Funny it usually only affects me if I’m on a small plane and am sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off, so it spooked me a little. It was compounded by me being on the top bunk as my girlfriend had the lower bed.
Don’t know about the whole firearms thing as I didn’t bring one.
The mask thing wasn’t an issue at the time as you could take it off in your roomette.
I probably would not do it again unless I got a bedroom with a bath to ease the phobia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FfNJGTFO

Post by FfNJGTFO »

zeebaron wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:51 pm I have taken Amtrak a few times, and although I love trains I would take a plane any day over one of those long trips suffering in a useless corona mask.

Don't forget, you are still required to wear a mask on all public transportation until Biden says you don't...
Yeah, I can see them requiring masks in the lounge/dining cars and the common areas in the sleeping cars (coffee station, hallways, etc.), as well as the indoor station area. I had stopped riding long before Covid.