What are local gun shows like now?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

indy1919a4 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:59 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:07 pm There was one in Oldsmar this weekend at the flea market. $10 to walk around inside with no AC in 90 degree heat. I saw what was coming for me, and I went inside anyway. I lasted 20 minutes. Maybe a dozen vendors. Prices of guns at least $100 above what I could drive 15 minutes in each direction for. Some guy was selling $10 boxes of Walmart game shotshells for $40.

At least the parking was free. And a reminder not to waste my time at these things again.
I really thunked hard about going to that show today but ran out of time.. But would not like the lack of air conditioning.. Ouch.

Was this Show dominated by one dealer who had a large majority of tables?? Was there any walk in guns?? Any older ones??

Thanks
The show is put on by Florida Gun Expo. They are also the largest FFL at their shows, Supreme Firearms being the retail division of the company. Edwin, & Erica put on the show. I do their Miami, & Miramar shows with IRA, & private sales are not discouraged at their shows. My buddy Joe usually shares 5 tables with his pals where the buying, & selling of interesting WW1, & WW2 guns is prevalent. GARY
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

indy1919a4 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:59 pm
zeebaron wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:07 pm There was one in Oldsmar this weekend at the flea market. $10 to walk around inside with no AC in 90 degree heat. I saw what was coming for me, and I went inside anyway. I lasted 20 minutes. Maybe a dozen vendors. Prices of guns at least $100 above what I could drive 15 minutes in each direction for. Some guy was selling $10 boxes of Walmart game shotshells for $40.

At least the parking was free. And a reminder not to waste my time at these things again.
I really thunked hard about going to that show today but ran out of time.. But would not like the lack of air conditioning.. Ouch.

Was this Show dominated by one dealer who had a large majority of tables?? Was there any walk in guns?? Any older ones??

Thanks
Yeah, it was basically one huge dealer in the middle who had at least 3x the inventory of everyone else in the place combined. I didn't catch their name. I maybe saw one person with a walk in gun, they did have a table out front with the guy and a pile of big zip ties. There was a table there with mostly vintage/antique hunting rifles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show was run by entities involved with that dealer. Do they even care if they sell guns with their high prices? At $10 a head, they are making more money just displaying their collection.
indy1919a4

Post by indy1919a4 »

Many thanks to all for all the helpful insights and observation. It helps to have others observations because one can not do all the shows yourself, no matter how hard you try. :)
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

zeebaron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm Yeah, it was basically one huge dealer in the middle who had at least 3x the inventory of everyone else in the place combined. I didn't catch their name. I maybe saw one person with a walk in gun, they did have a table out front with the guy and a pile of big zip ties. There was a table there with mostly vintage/antique hunting rifles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the show was run by entities involved with that dealer. Do they even care if they sell guns with their high prices? At $10 a head, they are making more money just displaying their collection.
Did you miss my post? The show was put on by Edwin, & Erica, who do shows as Florida Gun Expo, & sell guns at their shows as Supreme Firearms. They have more tables than any other FFL’s at their shows. Their prices are quite a bit higher than Ira’s, & sometimes Edwin tells Ira he should raise his prices. Ira tells him he’s making enough. Many times when a customer asks Ira if that price is the “out the door” price, Ira replies “I’m selling this gun for $100 less than Edwin, & you want a further discount, & don’t want to pay your tax”? Then I always say “when you bought your last flat screen at Walmart, did you tell them you didn’t want to pay the tax”? They have no reply for that. And even if Florida Gun Expo is making big $ putting on the show, Supreme Firearms is a different company [even if the same owners] and are entitled to also make big $. You should see what they charge for ammo. GARY.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

I saw it after I posted mine, lol. The intuition was right after all.

People can charge whatever they want, but it's not last year when there was no inventory. I think they wanted $500 for one of those Turkish shotgun imports everyone else is selling for $250-$300, lol...

I mean, I get it...I don't expect online pricing in person. But...
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

zeebaron wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:47 pm I saw it after I posted mine, lol. The intuition was right after all.

People can charge whatever they want, but it's not last year when there was no inventory. I think they wanted $500 for one of those Turkish shotgun imports everyone else is selling for $250-$300, lol...
That’s what they do. The last time I was at the local SS store, the manager told me they had 4 Turkish shotguns in the gunsmith’s room waiting for repairs. Last WPB show I put out 2 brand new Mossbergs. They sold before noon Saturday. I don’t see them often, so Turkish shotguns have become popular. Matter of fact, in the last year many no name guns from Turkey are taking up space on the tables. But yet Glocks are what people still ask for. Ira will bring 30 Glocks to a show, & the popular models will be gone by 5pm Saturday. GARY.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

N4KVE wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:57 pm Many times when a customer asks Ira if that price is the “out the door” price, Ira replies “I’m selling this gun for $100 less than Edwin, & you want a further discount, & don’t want to pay your tax”? Then I always say “when you bought your last flat screen at Walmart, did you tell them you didn’t want to pay the tax”? They have no reply for that.
I ask for the OTD price all the time. It does NOT mean I do not want to pay sales tax or additional discounts. Its just my way of apples to apples pricing.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Jimmy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:40 pm
I ask for the OTD price all the time. It does NOT mean I do not want to pay sales tax or additional discounts. Its just my way of apples to apples pricing.
Same here.

The price at the bottom of the invoice is all I care about.

I don't care how you got there.

I've been asking Ira that question since 2001 and about 20+ guns and he's never given me any shit about it.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

TC6969 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 pm

I don't care how you got there.
Exactly!
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

I never even give tax a thought: It is what it is and we render unto Caesar. Bottom line.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.