Insurance companies are basically scum...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

OSD wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm I agree with tector. You found the time to place an ad, show the car, do the sale with the person, fill out the forms and send them in, but couldn't take the time to go to the DMV with him to do the transfer properly like it says to on their website and didn't make copies of everything because you were too busy. Did you get his DL# from him and put it on the forms like it says to do?
Don't blame the insurance company because you couldn't/didn't take the time to follow thru and do your due diligence to CYA.
Yes on the D/L. Yes on the copies. I did what was required. NO requirement to stand in line with flea-bags @ DMV. None. And at my hourly rate, it would cost me $$$. Not all of us are retired/disabled geeze-paws with spare time on our hands.

Please read again:

(b) An owner or coowner who has made a bona fide sale or transfer of a motor vehicle and has delivered possession thereof to a purchaser shall notify the department within 30 days after the sale or transfer in the form prescribed by the department. Notice by such owner or coowner under this paragraph shall satisfy the notice requirement under subparagraph (a)2. for limitation of liability under paragraph (a). The notification shall include the vehicle identification number and the buyer’s full first name, middle initial, last name, and personal or business identification, which may include, but need not be limited to, a driver’s license number, Florida identification card number, or federal employer identification number, and any information required by the department.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

If the insurance carriers were not bottom-dwelling scum-suckers, the conversation would go like this:

Ins. Co. A: "Your insured was involved in an accident with our insured on 9/25/18".

Ins. Co. B: "According to our records, our insured reported that vehicle sold and cancelled the policy on 4/25/18".

Ins. Co. A: "OK, thank you. We'll go bark up another tree."

BUT instead, Co. A. files a claim with Co. B (WHO ACCEPTS THE CLAIM AND OPENS A CASE OF THEIR OWN), in hopes that John Q. Public (e.g. me) didn't cross a T or dot an I somewhere.

Once again...F THEM.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tector

Post by tector »

Whatever.

For everybody else, now you know how you should not sell a car. Do not give posession of the vehicle to the buyer until you have had title changed.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

tector wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm Whatever.

For everybody else, now you know how you should not sell a car. Do not give posession of the vehicle to the buyer until you have had title changed.
Whatever. 🙄 If everyone did this on every private sale, there would be lines around the block at every DMV office every day.

If more people stood up to their insurance companies and sued their asses more often for shit like this, this shit would stop.
S&W collector

Post by S&W collector »

Yes. Definitely a big lesson for me. I have always done a bill of sale and signed the title over.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

S&W collector wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Yes. Definitely a big lesson for me. I have always done a bill of sale and signed the title over.
...then notify the state and you are off the hook (except with your insurance company and the other parties insurance co.).
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Just received an e-mail from Geico stating "We regret the claim was filed in error...".

My reply was "See you in court".
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 pm Just received an e-mail from Geico stating "We regret the claim was filed in error...".

Please keep us updated on this as I very much am interested in the outcome. Insurance companies getting a kick in the nuts is worth living for.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
Wizard78

Post by Wizard78 »

Gmountain wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:43 pm No. This kind of thing happens all the time. There is a portion of the title that you can remove that says you sold it, but the better practice is always go to the tag office with the buyer and watch him to the transfer.
This! I won't sell a vehicle without doing this, anymore. I became responsible for charges from Sherriff's office, after selling a vehicle, delivering, taking my tag off and WITH A BILL OF SALE to new owner. The older title I had DID NOT have the new portion about selling. All I had was a bill of sale to new owner. Until the vehicle title has been transferred, YOU are still responsible. I hope this ends well for you. Better hope he doesn't take you to court for damages. The way it is written in your post, this paragraph shall satisfy the notice requirement under subparagraph (a)2. for limitation of liability, you might still be liable to a jury. It's not the insurance company, it's the way our laws are written.
"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:30 pm Just received an e-mail from Geico stating "We regret the claim was filed in error...".

For what?

For causing you to come on FSN, drop your pants, swing your dick around, and broadcast to everyone how your time is too valuable to go to the tag office with the common people?