A more civilized age of CCW.

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
ss1

Post by ss1 »

I bought my first gun at 21,a Colt LW Combat Commander but it was too big for carry. So I bought a PPK, but it was too heavy as I never found a shoulder rig that didn’t let the gun slap my tank on my bike when I got on it and waistband carry didn’t work. So I went back to Colt with a Mustang Pocketlite, then Glock 26, then LCP. I do have a Shield and a G43 but I’m just sold on the pocket carry of the LCP. Way back when, I did buy a Raven .25 for $50 at a gun show and then a NAA mini in .22 mag BUT never thought either as a worthwhile carry option with such anemic performance.
Firemedic2000

Post by Firemedic2000 »

rug357 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm I had a PPK for a while but gave up and sold it when I couldn't find any JHP ammo it would feed 100%. I had a Sig 230 for a while and that pistol was very reliable and accurate...but too big for 380ACP. A have a Hungarian made South African Police pistol in 380ACP I got few years ago was 100% reliable but the pistol has a nasty recoil. More recently I picked up a used Bersa 380 for cheap and that pistol feed anything 100%. I don't carry a 380ACP but the Bersa will occasionally sit in my glove compartment on trips.
I owned one of these two tone Bersa 380s they were dead accurate and reminded me of a Walter some what by the way it disassembled. But man it was one of the most accurate and reliable weapons I ever fired. It ate everything it was feed.

I love the 380 round but man is it expensive compared to the 9mm and that was before this FJB ammo shortage. I carry a little North American 5 shot 22 mag with hornady defensive rds. My wife took my 380 lol.
RANGER AIRBORNE, BLACK TEAM, FIREMEDIC, NRA BENEFACTOR
In the Government's/Elitist eye's I'm a Terrorist for believing in the Constitution and taking an oath to defend it instead of POLITICAL LEADERS
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm
rug357 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:26 pm I had a PPK for a while but gave up and sold it when I couldn't find any JHP ammo it would feed 100%. I had a Sig 230 for a while and that pistol was very reliable and accurate...but too big for 380ACP. A have a Hungarian made South African Police pistol in 380ACP I got few years ago was 100% reliable but the pistol has a nasty recoil. More recently I picked up a used Bersa 380 for cheap and that pistol feed anything 100%. I don't carry a 380ACP but the Bersa will occasionally sit in my glove compartment on trips.
I owned one of these two tone Bersa 380s they were dead accurate and reminded me of a Walter some what by the way it disassembled. But man it was one of the most accurate and reliable weapons I ever fired. It ate everything it was feed.

I love the 380 round but man is it expensive compared to the 9mm and that was before this FJB ammo shortage. I carry a little North American 5 shot 22 mag with hornady defensive rds. My wife took my 380 lol.
The fixed barrel will do that.

Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
45caldan

Post by 45caldan »

If you're carrying a .380 (and I do sometimes) do your self a favor and get some ammo that uses Hornady XTP bullets.
Several manufactures use them besides Hornady (Fiocchi is one) for good reason! They have been shown to deliver the best/consistent performance in ballistic gel (hitting the FBI's minimum requirements for penetration easily while still getting some expansion).
The new Federal Hydroshock DEEP may be another good choice.

I also had and liked and wish I still had a P232!
Casual

Post by Casual »

Try CZ Rami
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Casual wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:24 amTry CZ Rami
10 and 14 rd magazines, can't go wrong there.
Casual

Post by Casual »

Skeezix wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:08 am
Casual wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:24 amTry CZ Rami
10 and 14 rd magazines, can't go wrong there.
And can be used as a blunt force tool when empty
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

45caldan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:18 am If you're carrying a .380 (and I do sometimes) do your self a favor and get some ammo that uses Hornady XTP bullets.
Several manufactures use them besides Hornady (Fiocchi is one) for good reason! They have been shown to deliver the best/consistent performance in ballistic gel (hitting the FBI's minimum requirements for penetration easily while still getting some expansion).

Yes, they are well designed bullets. I have a couple boxes, though I usually carry Gold Dots. The Hornady "formula" of the plastic "ball" in the hollow cavity is especially helpful to the .380 cartridge, preventing the stuffing of the cavity, while promoting expansion.

BTW, a handy resource when talking about various rounds is ballisticsbytheinch.com.

I've also seen some interesting results in gel shown on youtube. One guy shot an Underwood round (380) into gel, and the results were impressive. Used a Glock 42, one of my secondary potential wants, though the word "elegance" hardly applies, except in the engineering sense.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
rug357

Post by rug357 »

Firemedic2000 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm
I picked up a 22lr version of the Bersa 380 and it too is accurate and totally reliable with good 22lr ammo. It has become my favorite handgun for informal fun shooting. Last Sunday when it was raining at the farm I sat at the door of my camper shooting a 8" steel plate about 25 yards away with that 22lr Bersa.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

REDinFL wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:28 am
45caldan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:18 am If you're carrying a .380 (and I do sometimes) do your self a favor and get some ammo that uses Hornady XTP bullets.

Yes, they are well designed bullets. I have a couple boxes, though I usually carry Gold Dots. The Hornady "formula" of the plastic "ball" in the hollow cavity is especially helpful to the .380 cartridge, preventing the stuffing of the cavity, while promoting expansion.

BTW, a handy resource when talking about various rounds is ballisticsbytheinch.com.

I've also seen some interesting results in gel shown on youtube. One guy shot an Underwood round (380) into gel, and the results were impressive. Used a Glock 42, one of my secondary potential wants, though the word "elegance" hardly applies, except in the engineering sense.
I LOVE MY GLOCK 42. I even compete with it in GSSF matches.
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA