77 Years Ago

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
photohause

77 Years Ago

Post by photohause »

Into The Jaws Of Death Normandy, France June 6, 1944 A Landing Craft Vehicle, Personnel, (LCVP), the USS Samuel Chase, disembarks troops of Company E, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division (the Big Red One) onto the Fox Green section of Omaha Beach on the morning of D-Day. The American soldiers encountered withering machine gun fire from the German 352nd Division while wading ashore. During the initial landing, two-thirds of Company E became casualties.

Image. https://www.bing.com/videos/search...
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
Wakko

Post by Wakko »

The full story behind the preparations for Neptune is incredible. BBC collecting tourist photos of the beach, inflatable tanks, parachuting mannequins, bringing Patton back into the fold to command a fake regiment, and getting hit with such bad weather that Rommel said "There's no way anyone would invade in this...I'm going home to see my wife for her birthday and give her shoes." Had Rommel been there, had Hitler been either 1) awake 2) not so overconfident, the defense force may have actually won. As it was, it took a month to fully connect the beaches and it was only expected to take days. The true death count isn't known, and was shared by both us and the rest of the Allies that were there, predominantly the British.

Walk the beach with a metal detector and you'll still find giant balls of steel where they fell 77 years ago.
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

Let's Go Brandon
Odessaman

Post by Odessaman »

What's both sad and inexcusable is the lack of recognition this date receives in the media. For example, today on the History Channel, they're running an all-day marathon of "The Food That Built America." Even the Military History Channel and American Heroes Channel have nothing in today's schedule to commemorate its significance.

Shameful.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Like every year, when in country, I went to pay my respect at the colleville cemetery. It was more difficult than usual to get there but I managed to get there.
TACC

Post by TACC »

^^^^^^^

This i agree is beyond shameful.

Especially on the military channel.

None of the millennials have a clue of this day in history, or the importance of it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wakko

Post by Wakko »

Odessaman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:01 pm What's both sad and inexcusable is the lack of recognition this date receives in the media. For example, today on the History Channel, they're running an all-day marathon of "The Food That Built America." Even the Military History Channel and American Heroes Channel have nothing in today's schedule to commemorate its significance.

Shameful.
A couple of years ago it was Pawn Stars.
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Odessaman wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:01 pm What's both sad and inexcusable is the lack of recognition this date receives in the media. For example, today on the History Channel, they're running an all-day marathon of "The Food That Built America." Even the Military History Channel and American Heroes Channel have nothing in today's schedule to commemorate its significance.

Shameful.
This!
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Shameful.
You know, even here the ceremonies are winding down. Sometimes, I am wondering if they’re not keeping it up because of the tourism money.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

mavrik wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:46 pm

Shameful.
This!
The "cancel culture" as dupes for worse enemies, erasing the past. "To destroy a culture, destroy its history."
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.