FFL/4473 Question...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

FFL/4473 Question...

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Anyone have this happen to them or is this standard practice?

Went to a local gun shop today to pick up an online transfer. Filled out the 4473 and provided my lic. & CCW. Clerk started typing in my info and said "I can't accept this address...it's listed as "non-residential""...

The address on my lic. (and everything else I have) is from my commercial building (where I do maintain a crash-pad for when wifey is not in the mood). Technically, it's not my residence, but I do own the building and have slept there in the past. The ATF would have an easier time finding me there than at home. Most of my firearms are also stored at the building.

So...what is the deal? Is this a gov't requirement to run the address through some sort of mailing database? He did not run the 4473, but input my address into some website. Isn't it between me and the Feds as to where I live and not between me and some barely-above-minimum-wage douchebag on a power trip? Wondering if this is a new gov't thing or a store policy.

Nonetheless, I left without the gun. Now I have to find some form of ID with my actual (residential) address on it...

:? :roll:

Edit: Here is the site he ran the address through: https://www.smartystreets.com/products/single-address
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

As long as it’s a valid address I would think it would be good to go. It’s not the responsibility of the transferree to say if it is or not your home address.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Clyde621 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:46 pm As long as it’s a valid address I would think it would be good to go. It’s not the responsibility of the transferree to say if it is or not your home address.
Exactly what I was thinking. Based on this chomo's attitude, I think he was just f'ing with me. Since when is it the FFL's responsibility to confirm anything on the 4473 other than my ID?

Been through 150(?) 4473's with never more than a 5 min. wait, using this same address over the last 15 yrs.
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

I guess everyone wants to be THE MAN and be able to exercise power they think they have over people.
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

According to ATF, it must be the valid residence of the person named on the 4473. Also, the documents verifying the address must match that address. It's up to the FFL to determine validity and complete or not complete the transfer.

If you don't like it, go to another FFL and see if they accept it.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Many times while working for Ira, when a customer is filling out their address on the 4473, they’ll say “I’ve moved, so the address on my DL is no longer valid”. They are told to write their new address on the 4473. Also his wife Joanne doesn’t type anyone’s address anywhere. Just name, DOB, and other things the BGC requires, but never the address. GARY
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

weaselfire wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:42 pm
If you don't like it, go to another FFL and see if they accept it.

Jeff
Everything I have matches my address... driver's license, CCW, vehicle registration, voter's reg., etc. Never had any issue with any transfer at any FFL for over 100+ transfers.

I would have to ask for the pistol to be shipped back to the seller and have the seller re-ship to the new FFL (at my expense, $35 x 2, adding $70 to the cost of a $300 pistol).

It is not up to the FFL to verify/validate my address, unless I was producing an obviously fake/doctored form of ID or the ID didn't match my face, race, sex or signature. They cannot "investigate" me, which is what they're doing.

The ATF does not say anything about "validating" an address: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-fo ... ee-firearm
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

N4KVE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:09 am Many times while working for Ira, when a customer is filling out their address on the 4473, they’ll say “I’ve moved, so the address on my DL is no longer valid”. They are told to write their new address on the 4473. Also his wife Joanne doesn’t type anyone’s address anywhere. Just name, DOB, and other things the BGC requires, but never the address. GARY
Yep. Which leads me to believe they're f'ing with me. I initially complained when they said it would take up to FIVE DAYS to process my incoming transfer (Post Office tracking indicated it was delivered this morning and I showed up at around 1p).
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

I would have a nice chat with whoever owns the place.

I quit trying to push shit up a hill.

I just take it to the top and let it flow down.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Please name the shop so we can boycott......
chạy trốn hoặc giết tất cả và đốt hooches của họ.