FFL/4473 Question...

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Ricordo

Post by Ricordo »

What if for some reason you need to replace your FL DL? Dog ate it?

If you are a Vet, it's free. If not, $25.00.
Let's Go Brandon
weaselfire

Post by weaselfire »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:51 am The ATF does not say anything about "validating" an address: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-fo ... ee-firearm
Except that the requirements for identification must include name, residence, date of birth and a photo. The FFL must verify that these match the person filling out the 4473 for transfer. If the FFL does not feel that these documents adequately meet the requirements, they are required to not transfer the firearm. Combination of the requirements of the Brady Act and several ATF determination letters.

But even that doesn't matter. There is no requirement that a FFL transfer a firearm to anyone. If they feel that the transfer may not be valid, or might be a straw purchase, they are supposed to deny the transfer. Your problem is that, of all the 100+ transfers you've done, this clerk checked the address. The fact that it shows as non-residential made this transfer, to them, suspect.

You have a number of options, some of which you mentioned. You can have the seller use a different FFL. You can find documentation that satisfies the FFL that the transfer should go through. You can decline the purchase and ask for a refund. You can argue in a gun forum, any public location or directly to the owner that this action is unjust and that you should be transferred the firearm. My guess is that only one of these options will actually get you the firearm.

Feel free to knock and badmouth the FFL, the employee and life in general. With the market over the last year, FFLs are desperate to shed the problem customers so they have time to handle the customers that respect them. If you have transferred that many firearms, why didn't you use a FFL that has a relationship with you and likely knows who you are?

I'm not going to argue with you, I'm just posting what I see based on your post. Feel free to rant and rave, curse me if you wish. I'm not going to transfer the firearm to you either.

Jeff
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

weaselfire wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 pm
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:51 am The ATF does not say anything about "validating" an address: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-fo ... ee-firearm
Except that the requirements for identification must include name, residence, date of birth and a photo. The FFL must verify that these match the person filling out the 4473 for transfer. If the FFL does not feel that these documents adequately meet the requirements, they are required to not transfer the firearm. Combination of the requirements of the Brady Act and several ATF determination letters.

But even that doesn't matter. There is no requirement that a FFL transfer a firearm to anyone. If they feel that the transfer may not be valid, or might be a straw purchase, they are supposed to deny the transfer. Your problem is that, of all the 100+ transfers you've done, this clerk checked the address. The fact that it shows as non-residential made this transfer, to them, suspect.
So what's next, they hook me up to a lie-detector to determine the truthfulness of the "yes/no" questions? Bullshit.

There's nothing in the law that says you can't transfer a firearm due to a commercial vs. residential address, and that is the subject of this post. The fact that the a-hole behind the counter is a power-tripping loser who makes barely above minimum wage and knows nothing of what he does is secondary. What if I were truly homeless? Between homes? Crashing on someone's couch? Live/work space with a commercial address? Commercial building converted to residence (I almost bought an old firehouse once). No guns for me? Again, bullshit.

If the ATF goes to the address on the 4473 and knocks on the door, I'd be the only one there, and I'm there more than I am "home". If I wasn't there and they kicked in the door, they'd find all/most of the guns I have purchased over the years.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Feel free to knock and badmouth the FFL, the employee and life in general. With the market over the last year, FFLs are desperate to shed the problem customers so they have time to handle the customers that respect them. If you have transferred that many firearms, why didn't you use a FFL that has a relationship with you and likely knows who you are?
I'm not the problem, they are. I'll post a link to their hundreds of negative reviews after this is over.

I just moved to the area. My "regular" FFL is over an hour away.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Ricordo wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:30 pm What if for some reason you need to replace your FL DL? Dog ate it?

If you are a Vet, it's free. If not, $25.00.
Never had an issue. I have changed my address/replaced license online. You don't need to prove anything to DMV for those functions.
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Do you get any mail there?

Maybe if you had a water bill or something else official to show them.

Works at the DMV!
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Feel free to knock and badmouth the FFL, the employee and life in general. With the market over the last year, FFLs are desperate to shed the problem customers so they have time to handle the customers that respect them.
Which is exactly why I don't purchase from gun stores, used car lots or Realtors...all absolutely condescending, with piss-poor attitudes & worthless at what they do/know. Then again, If I were a 40-something balding "know-it-all" whose highest achievement was to be a clerk at a gun shop, I'd be riding people hard, too. He's got nothing else going for him. :roll:
Last edited by Tenzing_Norgay on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

TC6969 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:03 pm Do you get any mail there?

Maybe if you had a water bill or something else official to show them.

Works at the DMV!
Everything I have goes to the commercial address...he wouldn't accept a credit card bill, voter's reg. or utility bill. He wants a "government document" which verifies to a residential address, as indicated on the (private, non-government) database he's using.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

My wife and I are full time RV’ers. Our address on our drivers licenses is a Professional Mail Box (PMB) in Green Cove Springs, FL. However, per the FL DMV instead of our mailbox number on the license we use the license plate of our RV because - again, per FL DMV - “that is where you lay your head at night”. I can guarantee you if you run the address on our drivers licenses you will not see it come up as a residential address - but I just completed two FFL/4473 transactions without any problems.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

tcpip95 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:37 pm My wife and I are full time RV’ers. Our address on our drivers licenses is a Professional Mail Box (PMB) in Green Cove Springs, FL. However, per the FL DMV instead of our mailbox number on the license we use the license plate of our RV because - again, per FL DMV - “that is where you lay your head at night”. I can guarantee you if you run the address on our drivers licenses you will not see it come up as a residential address - but I just completed two FFL/4473 transactions without any problems.
You would not walk out of this shop with a gun, according to their "investigation" of your living status...