Motorcycle Roadside Assistance plans?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Agrimensor

Motorcycle Roadside Assistance plans?

Post by Agrimensor »

Greetings,

Do any of you have opinions on motorcycle roadside assistance plans? I'm doing a solo x-country trip to a cabin in the Sierra Buttes near Lake Tahoe. My wife is going to fly out and meet me there.

I currently have some basic coverage through Harley Owners Group and used to have an extended plan through them but I never felt confident in them.

AAA has a plan but you have to already have their Premium auto plan. American Motorcyle Assn. has a plan as do some others.

I'm willing to just not even get any coverage at all but if I can get some for a decent price I'd do it.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Best, Agrimensor
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
George W

Post by George W »

Progressive through USAA for me. I ride a Kawasaki, so I've never needed to use it. :D
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

Do your own maintenance and you will have no use for roadside assistance. I've been riding the backroads and highways for 50 years now. From 1978 to 1993, I was averaging over 50,000 miles a year on my motorcycles. One single time, I hitchhiked home to get the truck and go back to pick up the motorcycle.

Use the tool kit on the bike to do all the maintenance. Add tools to the kit as needed at home, then you'll have every tool you might need on the road.

Put the heaviest duty touring tires you can on the bike. Then when a tire gets punctured, the sidewalls will be strong enough to hold up the bike while you continue riding it to a convenient spot to work on it.

I ride alone, because I already had my fill of working on other people's bikes on the side of the road, in the early 70's.
Agrimensor

Post by Agrimensor »

Iosef wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:27 pm Do your own maintenance and you will have no use for roadside assistance. I've been riding the backroads and highways for 50 years now. From 1978 to 1993, I was averaging over 50,000 miles a year on my motorcycles. One single time, I hitchhiked home to get the truck and go back to pick up the motorcycle.

Use the tool kit on the bike to do all the maintenance. Add tools to the kit as needed at home, then you'll have every tool you might need on the road.

Put the heaviest duty touring tires you can on the bike. Then when a tire gets punctured, the sidewalls will be strong enough to hold up the bike while you continue riding it to a convenient spot to work on it.

I ride alone, because I already had my fill of working on other people's bikes on the side of the road, in the early 70's.
I take my hat off to you. Bike maintenance, aside from the very basics, is not my strong suit.

I did talk to AAA today. They charge $35 annual for MC coverage if you already have an auto account. My auto membership expires in August so pro-rated, cost me $5 to get coverage that will run me through this trip. Not bad. All I'm looking for is to not get hammered if I need a tow.

I ride alone, too, works best for me. Come and go when and where you want, if I'm not sleeping too well and it's 2 AM, I can get up and head out after a black coffee.

Thanks.
photohause

Post by photohause »

I rode a '76 BMW for years...tool kit could do all of it, even had a inner tube pump. BMW owners club and a list of member who were above to assist/fib and stuff. Maybe look into some of these. I once had the alternator go in Nova Scotia...(lived in VA) bike shop said they could have Fed Ex deliver one in four days....I got a trickle charger and parked at various places to plug in.
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
t_bare

Post by t_bare »

Check out AMA

t_bare
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

anyone with Gieco auto and added their bike ?? I wanted to know if their road side assistance covered bikes ?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Knowing you Rent,I'm trying to figure out "what" kind of bike you're riding,LOL
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

TonyR wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:50 pm Knowing you Rent,I'm trying to figure out "what" kind of bike you're riding,LOL
07 Suzuki Bandit 1250S....kinda Old Skool :mrgreen:

I want a new MT10 Hyper Naked but don't wanna wait for one, the $ 13 K sticker doesn't bother me, but I don't know if I wanna part with the Bandit to ease the sticker shock, or if I would even still ride it after gettin the new bike ?

thats why I was askin about roadside assistance, the Bandit is kinda bullet proof, but it's an older bike and Im usually riding by myself, I don't have anyone to call to come pick my ass up, should something go wrong, If I got the new MT, just call up the Yamaha dealer and say come get this shit, its still under warranty :D , but I would need full coverage ins.